Author Topic: John Blake (Blak/Black) abt1535  (Read 8253 times)

Offline Kristin Black

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Blake (Blak/Black) abt1535
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 April 15 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am researching the origins of my family and came across this thread. Janet Cuik is a common ancestor of ours. John Black Major was her son. Her other children included Helen, Margaret, Tom, Janet and Marion.
I can not find anything earlier for John I Black, husband of Janet Cuik but I assure you I am directly descended from him. My branch of the Black family can also claim direct descent from Robert the Bruce, William the Conqueror and Charlemagne. Some links that may be helpful to you:
www.wikitree.com/wiki/Black-3186
www.blackfamilygenealogy.org
If you find any earlier ancestors to John Black Major, please contact me. *
So far, my research has taken me to York and back to Somerset as well. Ironically, my mother's family (Dance/Williams) hailed from Somerset also.

* Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice to avoid spamming and other abuse.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses and personal information.  New members need to make two or three messages before being able to access this system.  Thanks

Hi All !   Some help would be extremely appreciated here.

Although I'm aware that going back so far is riddled with problems, I nonetheless have a potential 11xGr born about 1536 in Over Stowey, Somerset.   
If I can find a birth source, I'd be half-way to linking him to some more 'recent' ancestors..., the 'Lords of the Isles.'

I have him with a father called John 'the Elder' Blake 1521-1576 born Plainsfield, Somerset.    Mother Jane Rawson b1521 born Plainsfield, Somerset. 
If my John is correct, I have him marrying Janet Cuik in Edinburgh on the 18 December 1564. (he..., Merchant, Burgess of Dumfries)
He died on the 2nd of December 1588.

'Migration' to Scotland ?   His local church is called Saint Andrew...   Patron Saint of Scotland..., but I've no idea if this would have been sufficient enough motivation for him to move north.   

So far I have (1) 'Midlothian (Edinburgh) Scotland, Extracted Parish Records' and (2) the 'UK, Extracted Probate Records 1269-1875.'

Any help concerning a birth source would be appreciated.   Thanks..., Iain. 

(1)
Text:   Black (Blak), John, and Janet Cuik 18 Dec 1564
Book:   Register of Marriages, 1564-1800. (Marriage)
Collection:   Midlothan: Edinburgh - Parish of Holyroodhouse or Canongate. Register of Marriages, 1564-1800
(2)
Name:   Black (Blak), John
Dates:   2 Dec 1588
Place:   Dumfries, West Lothian, Scotland
Book:   Mort Roll from 1781 in the Register House, Edinburgh. (Death)
Collection:   West Lothian, and Midlothian; Gloucestershire: Edinburgh; Bristol- Commissariot Record of Edinburgh, Register of Testaments, 1514-1600; Bristol Wills, 1572-1792
Volume:   The Commissarint Record of Edinburgh.
Chapter:   Register of Testaments. First Section--1514-1600. Edited by Francis J. Grant, W.S., Carrick Pursuivant of Arms.
Text:   Black (Blak), John, merchant, burgess of Dumfries 02 Dec 1588

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 April 15 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Kristin..., and thanks !

Unfortunately, I can’t help you !   Following the good advice here on RootsChat I trimmed my Black tree by eliminating many generations.  (no certificates or good proof  linking them to Somerset)

Good luck..., Iain. 
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline jimmyblack

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 August 15 21:52 BST (UK) »
Kristin,
I have Black/Blake Family ancestor info back and beyond to Robert de Blakeland born 1299.
This John Blake is a problem.  He is supposed to be the son of John the Elder Blake 1521-1576.
However, in John the Elder's Will there is no mention of a son, John.  John Blake married Janet Cook in 1564 and they had 7 or 8 children.  For my line, their son, John married Elizabeth Locart in 1584.  Very few researchers even mention John and Cook.  The Blake Museum in Bridgewater does not know them.  John is a mystery for now, but I will find him.
Regards,
Jim

Offline sdbadger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Over there ... I will find them over there....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 May 17 17:49 BST (UK) »
If this is of any help....

My research shows the children of John BLAKE (1521-1576) and Joan RAWSON (? - 1595) are:

Ann (1543)
Alice (ca 1548)
Elizabeth (1550)
Humphrey (1556)
Mary (1558)
William (1559)
Richard (1562)
Robert (1566)
Isobel (unk)

Cheers!
LUFF:  Illinois; Middx; Surrey; Berks
HEARNE:  Kent; Norfolk