Author Topic: James Florence/ Isabella Moir/ Margaret Wright  (Read 16272 times)

Offline rosinaj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Florence/ Isabella Moir/ Margaret Wright
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 02:14 BST (UK) »
I am as confused as u re John Hardie - hopefully we will eventually sort him out...
John emigrated to Winnipeg, Manitoba as that is where he enlisted in the Canadian Infantry
March 30, 1916... The regimental number I have is 922192 whereby u mention the number
186310  -  I will check with the Commonwealth Graves to see what if anything they have on
either of these regimental numbers.
I will search out what I can on his emigration to see if anyone else emigrated with him

Actually I can't see James Florence being John Hardie's father as he wld only of been 16 when
John was born, no doubt he was his stepfather...
John has given his mother Florence Hardie of Oyne as his next of kin - was she an aunt who maybe
raised him during some part of his life???? A little challenge to sink my teeth into, I'll let you
know what I find if anything...

I have copies of the births of Annie, Annette & John Hardie Williams are all children of Catherine
Anne Williams as per Scotland's People..

Re George Florence he was not my father - he was my half sister Molly Robertson Florence Wright's
father, he was born in 1905 the son of James Florence/Catherine Williams, George was a friend and worked on the railroad with my mother's brother - he was killed by a train in 1930 at Leuchars Fife.

Offline rosinaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 04:36 BST (UK) »
Jim:
I just found a picture of Pte John Hardie Reg. #186310 8th Bn Cdn Infantry 10/11/17 aged 26
son of Alexander & Mary Hardie of Shallowplough, Ellon, Aberdeenshire Scotland Plot X1V. B.16

Born Ellon, Aberdeenshire emigrated to Winnipeg, Canada  commemorated on the War Memorial
in Ellon, Aberdeenshire
Picture courtesy of Great, great nephew Dale Hardie

Website: www.ww1cemeteries.com/ww1cemeteries/dozinghemmilitarycemetery.com

So that eliminates that John Hardie - I tried to check the Menin Gate (Ypres) Memorial in
Belgium where John is presumably buried to see if they had pictures of soldiers killed - but it seems that cemetery is more for missing soldiers, altho there were some picture of Australian soldiers
killed.

There is so many coincidences in these two individuals - born same year,  they end up emigrating to Winnipeg, Canada, join the Cdn Infantry & get killed within days of each other - only difference
is their regiment numbers, one buried in Dozinghem Military Cemetery and the other Menin Gate
(Ypres) Memorial, Belgium

I'm going to sleep on this..
Rosina

Offline rosinaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 14:55 BST (UK) »
Jim

In google search enter   Private John Hardie regiment #922192 Canadian Infantry

www.canadiangreatwarproject.com/searches/soldierdetailprint.asp?ID=56222

and   www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/memorials/books

you will find the info I have on John Hardie stating his army data

Now I'm going to search when he emigrated to Canada...

One other thing on the census  John Hardie Williams was noted as James Florence's stepson  BUT
Annie & Annette were not noted as step daughters - cld he have fathered them before marrying
Catherine Anne Williams....Threw that in to add to yr confusion...

Have a great day..