Author Topic: Edna Bailey  (Read 7049 times)

Offline tuppence_123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edna Bailey
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 June 14 09:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your incredible assistance!

I think I can be fairly confident in following Matthew Bailey and Mary (nee Miller) as the parents of Edna.

I had come across the several Bailey couples having children around that time but when the one child you are interested in isn't listed it is very hard to work out which are the right parents.

I checked the Cranborne baptisms but couldn't find Edna there either so it looks like she was either Edith and became known as Edna or else for some reason her baptism wasn't recorded.

However, I think the will of Matthew Bailey the elder is a fairly positive indication that these are the right parents.  Also, the remarriage of Edna which indicates she was the daughter of Matthew Bailey (this probably also gives the reason why I couldn't find Edna Shering's death - never occurred to me she might have remarried!)

Edna Shering was also witness at the 1849 Fordingbridge marriage of William Bailey son of Matthew, farmer.

Finally in regard to another point brought up by Trish, William Sherring didn't have a sister Ann but he did have one called Mary Ann, who I have found referred to as Mary Ann Bailey so the possibility of her having married Edna's brother Matthew is something I will have to follow up on (as she is not in the direct family line I had put her to the side for the time being).

Once again, thank you all for your invaluable help.

Cathryn

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 June 14 10:09 BST (UK) »
Given the information provided by the will and the second marriage I think you can confidently go further with your research back through Mathew's line. Good luck with the next steps.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 June 14 13:39 BST (UK) »
Good luck with it all :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline tuppence_123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 03:26 BST (UK) »
Again, thank you everyone.  Have been busy over the long weekend here in Australia researching, cross checking details and expanding the family tree.  Seems the reason Joel wasn't mentioned in the will was because he died at age 14.  I think I have found Matthew's father and grandfather.  Mary appears to have died sometime between 1828 (when the last child was born) and 1841 (as she doesn't appear on that census) and I think I have narrowed that down also, as well as who her parents were.

I would not have been able to do it without your help!  ;D

Offline tuppence_123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Edna Bailey ** COMPLETED WITH THANKS TO ALL **
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 June 14 05:12 BST (UK) »