Author Topic: My Mc/MacPherson ancestry  (Read 2835 times)

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
My Mc/MacPherson ancestry
« on: Sunday 08 June 14 06:06 BST (UK) »
Hello.
It's been a while.
I've found that my WILLIAM MCPHERSON, a jailer then deputy governor of the Bridewell in Edinburgh was born in 1798 in Sutherland. 
His parents were James MacPherson and Cath[e]rine Munro. 
I've not been able to find a marriage for them but did find one for a James Macpherson in Nuid to a Cathrine Macpherson of Strone - their mg was on the 12 Jan 1797.  This fits with my William's birth in 1798.  However was it a mistake that Cathrine's surname is different.  Their parish was Kingussie and Insh, Inverness.

However I

also I found a marriage record for an Isabella McPherson (was she James and Cathrine's dtr??) to an Angus McDonald, Sawyer:  event was on 18 Jan 1833 at St Cuthbert's, Edinburgh.  In the registration entry it mentions that Isabella's late father was James McPherson, a "Farmer at Maikel in the parish of Creich, Sutherlandshire". 

This then would have the James Macpherson as two different people.  The only other likely marriages between a James McPherson and a Catherine/Cathrine/Katherine occurred

1: on 17 May 1799 in Edinburgh; a year after my William's birth which was in Sutherland, not Midlothian; Katherine's surname was Forrest.
2: on 14 Jul 1790 in Leuchars, Fife; Katharine's surname was Hutton.

I guess I favour Isabella's marriage record as a source for my William's birthplace;  his father James then was a 'Farmer' (accords with the Wm's death reg) and they were in Sutherland.  But I have not found anything on the place called "Maikel in the parish of Creich".  I did find the Meikle Ferry on a map - is this then shaping up to a discovery?

Eagerly awaiting your thoughts,
Julie
BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
Re: My Mc/MacPherson ancestry COMPLETED
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 July 14 07:22 BST (UK) »
I will leave off from further enquiries, thank you.
BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales