Author Topic: Llanifair Talhaiarn  (Read 2479 times)

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Llanifair Talhaiarn
« on: Sunday 08 June 14 20:18 BST (UK) »
My G grandfather & GGrandmother married 1854 of full age   Would this be 16 and over or 21 ?
Trying to trace there births but need a approximate age for this.
There surnames Davies :( MC states Elinor was born a Davies married a Davies could be tricky .
Thank you

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Llanifair Talhaiarn
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 June 14 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hello valerie1,

I take it you have obtained their marriage certificate is that the case? Does this show the names of their fathers and occupations?

Of full age would indicate they were both over 21 years of age.

What is their connection to Llanfair Talhaiarn? Did they marry there, or do you think they were born/baptised there?

It may be possible for us Rootschatters to see if we can find baptisms etc. What information do you have for us to go on? Their full names would be a start.

Genuki indicates the church records for Llanfair TH are good, see:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/LlanfairTalhaearn/

Jo.

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 June 14 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Jo,

Thanks for the reply yes I have MC, both fathers called John Davies both labourers .
Married in LT and state residence of Village, these were the parents of Daniel and I know lots about him going forward but nothing about William and Elinor.
Intrestingly to me Daniel marries Emma Jones who's mother Emma Parry came from LT , her father William Jones came from ST Asaph he was a Shepard but they married in LT so have a strong connection with LT.
N
The names are a nightmare Davies Jones Parry Williams, I'm hoping to find living kin in LT.
Thank you

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 June 14 18:54 BST (UK) »
have  you got them with Daniel in census, that would gave ages and place of birth.
Would help locate them.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 June 14 19:36 BST (UK) »
No I have Daniel in 1881 as indoor farm labourer 19 and single Farmer is William Hughes, that's as far back as I go with him, his wife's people in LF I can go back further

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 14:30 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to supply the names of the children of your gt grandparents?

These might give us some clues as to their parents.

There is a baptism for an Elinor Davies, daughter of John and Margaret Davies in the Calvinstic Methodist Chapel on 12 November 1831. Date of birth was 16 October 1831 Margaret Davies is shown as having been Margaret Davies, spinster before she married. Parents address given as Pen y Bryn, Wigfair. Ancestry has this as St Asaph. John Davies is a Labourer. Father's parish shown as Henllan.

A few lines above it on the page there is another baptism for a son, Edward, of John and Elin Davies. John was a Weaver of Henllan.

There is a possible entry for Elinor on the 1841 census in Llanfair TH. This is on HO107 Piece 1402 book 6 Enumeration district 14 Folio 56 Page 5. The head of the household is shown as John Davies, aged 40, Ag labourer, born in county. There are children, including Elinor, age 7 and born in county. It is difficult to decipher the name of his wife.

Just to confuse matters, there is another Elinor Davies on the same page, she is age 13, in the household of David Roberts, age 50, Farmer. He has what appears to be a wife, Catherine, age 50, plus two people by the name of Davies, Elinor and David, age 21.

These might be worth pursuing.

Jo.

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Jo,
Thank you so much for such a detailed reply.
I will look into all the information it's so hard when they have same Christain names as well.
But this family are know to weslyn Methodists so the 1831 christening looks a good place to start.
Thanks again very much
Val

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Valerie,

You are welcome.

Just bear in mind that up to 1974, Llanfair TH was in Denbighshire. The record off ice for Denbighshire is in Ruthin.

https://www.denbighshire.gov.uk/en/resident/libraries-and-archives/denbighshire-archives/denbighshire-archives.aspx

The National Library of Wales is also a good place to search.

http://www.llgc.org.uk/

Good luck! Welsh genealogy is notorious for being a challenge.

Jo.

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 21:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jo,

I'm sorry this posting should have gone in Denbighshire, You can tell I was not good at Geography at school.

Thank you again