Author Topic: Marriage in Jersey 1869-1873  (Read 3004 times)

Offline Joanne0669

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage in Jersey 1869-1873
« on: Tuesday 10 June 14 08:08 BST (UK) »
I've hit a bit of a brick wall with my research into the Hale family of St. Helier, Jersey.

According to a book published by one of my cousins my 2nd great grandfather, James Hale, remarried after his first wife Ruth Young passed in 1866. Whilst her book states the marriage was in 1869 no source, name or place has been mentioned other than she died 6 months later and she was a woman of wealth.

According to the book her family after her death paid for the Hale family to relocate to Australia.

Does anyone have any idea where I can look? I've paid for research on the ground in Jersey but due to time constraints and a limited budget they were not able to delve into James' second marriage other than to tell me that there was a death of a Elizabeth Hale in 1872/73. This may or may not have been his second wife.

According to the Jersey Almanacs and census records we now know that James ran the British and Foreign School @ 20 Aquila Rd and later the The James Hale Academy for Boys @ 5 Vauxhall St.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Joanne

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in Jersey 1869-1873
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 09:46 BST (UK) »
Look at the Jersey web site called Jerripedia.An amazing site about Jersey s history with loads of records and family trees.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline Joanne0669

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 10:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ringrose.....I tried Jerripedia but sadly had no success.

Cheers,
Joanne

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 12:15 BST (UK) »
There are no BMD records on Jerripedia past 1842 apart from some St Helier baptisms that they acquired from the Jersey Archive site.

I can have a look at the records but I'm not going to be back in Jersey until next week.

Offline Joanne0669

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 12:31 BST (UK) »
That would be fantastic la grande-methe...whenever you get a chance.

Thankyou so much!!!

Kind Regards,
Joanne