Author Topic: Suffolk parish registers to go online?  (Read 52987 times)

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk parish registers to go online?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 13:15 BST (UK) »
I agree... but even £3.50's too much.  If they priced them all at, say, £0.99 then 'everybody' would be prepared to download lots of them to read.   For £1 you'd even be willing to read a stranger's will .... so you'd end up reading all wills vaguely associated with anybody in your family, instead of being priced higher, when most people would either buy none, or just one (when forced).

The keepers of the information don't really want paupers to partake of their interest .... it's financially cleansing the hobby for the wealthier :)
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 19:22 BST (UK) »
This is the notice I put on my Facebook Group for Suffolk last month, and also the new web site URL - www.suffolkarchives.co.uk

Update on the new Heritage Centre for Suffolk 'The Hold' August 2016
By now you will have heard about the wonderful proposed new heritage centre, 'The Hold' which has received initial  support from the Heritage Lottery Fund. This support includes  development funding of GBP538,100 to help Suffolk County  Council progress plans and apply for a full grant of GBP 10.3m at a later date.
Located on the north campus of University of Suffolk,  (University Campus Suffolk - UCS) the new facility will house the bulk of  Suffolk's archives and a range of archaeological records. As well  as providing teaching and research space fit for the 21st Century,  it will also form a unique visitor attraction and an important cultural  resource for the community.
Working in close partnership with the university as it gains independence, 'The Hold' will not only transform the Record Office's ability to care for and  showcase our county's records, but also to promote them and give access to a broader audience.
The project will drive a new way for the Record Office to extend and deliver its outreach work; a county-wide activity programme called "Mapping Suffolk's  Stories" will see Record Office staff and UCS work alongside community groups and schools, engaging them with Suffolk's rich heritage in new and exciting ways.
Meanwhile, 'The Hold' should open its doors in time for the 900th anniversary of  our oldest document - in late 2019.   
Added August 25th, 2016 PHB   
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 22 September 16 13:46 BST (UK) »
agree... but even £3.50's too much.  If they priced them all at, say, £0.99 then 'everybody' would be prepared to download lots of them to read.   For £1 you'd even be willing to read a stranger's will .... so you'd end up reading all wills vaguely associated with anybody in your family, instead of being priced higher, when most people would either buy none, or just one (when forced).

As you generally have to pay at least 70 or 80p per page for paper copies in most Record Offices, I think £1 per Will would be considered a bit underpriced unless the Will was only a single page. ;) 

That said £6 is exorbitant and if SRO are thinking they can raise additional funds for their new centre through this new service, they may be disappointed.  Yes it will I can guarantee the new Will copy service will get used, but most likely not as well as they think.  I feel a trip to Bury SE will be in hand.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 22 September 16 20:37 BST (UK) »
There is no way I would pay £6 for a will as others have said that is way over the top price wise. But I would be prepared to pay a yearly sub if and when the parish records go online, talking of which does anyone know what is happening with regards to these as it seems to have gone pretty quiet of late.
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 22 September 16 20:52 BST (UK) »
Good news as my great grandad was born in Suffolk, and some of my Essex ancestors had ancestors before them who originated in Suffolk and moved to Essex in the 1750-1790 period. What is left of the IGI since the FamilySearch "revamp", the IGI has a patchy Suffolk coverage so any digitisation will be great for me.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 23 September 16 09:20 BST (UK) »
There is no way I would pay £6 for a will as others have said that is way over the top price wise. But I would be prepared to pay a yearly sub if and when the parish records go online, talking of which does anyone know what is happening with regards to these as it seems to have gone pretty quiet of late.

If you look at Post #12 on Page 2 (one of mine) there is a link to an SRO report to the Friends of SRO which suggests they are likely to outsource the digitisation of parish registers.  The FSRO annual meeting is this Saturday (having checked their website) so there may be another update from the SRO visible in the coming weeks.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 23 September 16 19:24 BST (UK) »

I'm keen to know when Suffolk parish registers will be available, and for me it'll be well worth a subscription since I have ancestors from both sides of the family from Suffolk. (It'll be a good chance to delve into our Otley family, coombs)
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline sharonmx5

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 23 September 16 20:46 BST (UK) »
I hope they digitise from the originals and not from the microfiche as some of the microfiche is illegible.  I doubt it though.  :(
Hudson - Ipswich, pre 1800; Devall - Colchester, pre 1780

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 23 September 16 21:35 BST (UK) »
Clairec666 yes we can get further back on the Otley line of Stanstead and Dalham. And the Deeks line, I have got back to Isaac Deeks of Stanstead, I think he came from Glemsford.

Yes, looking at some of the Suffolk PR's on microfiche at Lowestoft in the past has been quite daunting as some are faded.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain