Author Topic: Suffolk parish registers to go online?  (Read 54244 times)

Offline Superb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk parish registers to go online?
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am tring to follow chat about parish registers to go online. It is now 10 Jan 2017 has any thing gone online yet? My surname list is for Suffolk ---Sexby , Barnby, Bore , Manning---/ Devon are Rendell, Melhuish and Yendel---/ Durham and Warwickshire are Butler
Regards

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am tring to follow chat about parish registers to go online. It is now 10 Jan 2017 has any thing gone online yet? My surname list is for Suffolk ---Sexby , Barnby, Bore , Manning---/ Devon are Rendell, Melhuish and Yendel---/ Durham and Warwickshire are Butler
Regards

Nothing yet and so far no sign of anything in the pipeline either I'm afraid.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Trevor Rix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 10:13 GMT (UK) »
I notice that Suffolk Record Office have switched on the facility to pay using a card for digital images of some original Suffolk wills on their new website. They are £6.00 each though which I think is outrageous compared to Essex whose £85.00/year subscription provides unlimited viewing and downloads of Essex parish registers and many wills.

https://www.suffolkarchives.co.uk/the_hold

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I notice that Suffolk Record Office have switched on the facility to pay using a card for digital images of some original Suffolk wills on their new website. They are £6.00 each though which I think is outrageous compared to Essex whose £85.00/year subscription provides unlimited viewing and downloads of Essex parish registers and many wills.

https://www.suffolkarchives.co.uk/the_hold

That's recent, last time I looked it still wasn't available.  I lived in hope they had changed their mind.  I agree its very high, although could be worse Hertfordshire charge £10 :-X.  We can live in hope that they don't get much uptake and have to reduce the charge. :-\  Unfortunately around £5 seems to be quite common in spite of the fact many Wills will only be one or two pages.  Doesn't make it any less palatable.

Any news on the parish register digitisation project at all?  I've not seen any mention of it in the council minutes since last May which makes me wonder whether its all on hold because of "The Hold" project. :(
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Trevor Rix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 20:30 BST (UK) »
Suffolk Archives tweeted "We are currently digitising our holdings of wills and you may like to know that you can now download wills @ https://www.suffolkarchives.co.uk". See the conversation here https://twitter.com/KeyToThePast/status/853581287147413504

Offline Trevor Rix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
Today, Suffolk Archives replied to my tweet "What is the latest news on the negotiations with prospective commercial partners to digiitise Suffolk Parish Registers please?" as follows "Negotiations are still in progress and we hope to finalise the complex agreements this year." https://twitter.com/KeyToThePast/status/856934766112854016

At WDYTYA Live this year I once again asked the people who are close to the negotiations at Ancestry and Findmypast what was happening. They both gave me the impression that things had gone quiet and the the ball was in the court of Suffolk Archives.

Offline sharonmx5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that trevor.  Sounds like we still have a considerable wait.
Hudson - Ipswich, pre 1800; Devall - Colchester, pre 1780

Offline Trevor Rix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 22:32 BST (UK) »
Today in reply to my tweet "Good Morning. Please may we have another update?", Suffolk Archives @KeyToThePast replied "Digitising parish registers is still an important project but The Hold (HLF) work has needed to take priority this year" and "Thanks for your enquiry and for taking interest in the project- updates will be provided when possible :)".

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 23:03 BST (UK) »
Always the same with them "Still a very important project we hope to do in the future". Looks like us with Suffolk ancestors will still have to keep trekking down the Suffolk RO then.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain