Author Topic: Suffolk parish registers to go online?  (Read 54092 times)

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk parish registers to go online?
« Reply #81 on: Thursday 12 October 17 18:25 BST (UK) »
I'd rather have a few garbled surnames than the records not being online. As said we can then go back further on our mutual ancestors the Otleys and Deeks and see if there is a link to Peggy Mitchell Barbara Windsor. Small chance but still a chance.

You'll find a lot of us have done that, Carol. I got rather excited when the name Izzard popped up on my tree, but alas, no connection. Barbara Windsor is my current target. :)

And mine, thank to our mutual Lucking, Otley and Deeks rellies. I traced our Deeks line to Isaac Deeks born c1675 who wed in Glemsford

Coombs, IF your Isaac Deeks in Stanstead was from Glemsford, he can only be the son of John and Anna Deeks.  The Isaac Deeks baptised the same year to Isaac Deeks and Mary Gardener was resident in Glemsford when his uncle Thomas Gardener made his Will in 1707.  The Will specifically states that Isaac was of Glemsford and his sisters Grace and Susanna also were left bequests.  The other Isaac only had a suriving brother, his other two siblings died as infants.

There are, though, other Isaac Deeks around the area at the time.

Thanks. My Isaac Deeks died in 1715 in Stanstead and had children up to 1708 there. He wed Ann Prick in 1698 in Stanstead. Not yet confirmed that he deffo was the one born to Johannis (John) and Ann but very likely. Isaac named his first child John. But we can now distinguish which of the 2 Isaac Deeks born 1694 in Glemsford is which. Wills are so handy.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Superb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 05:25 GMT (UK) »
 Can any one tell me please  the new records on Ancestry Suffolk, England, Extracted Church of England Parish Records, 1538-1850 .What places do they cover,  or are they just the same ones of family search?

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
They appear to be from published books of transcripts and marriage licences from what I can see.  Many were previously available reproduced on CD from Archive CD Books, among others.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 16:37 GMT (UK) »
They don't seem to cover a great deal of Suffolk parishes. I do notice though they have some marriage licenses on there.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Friday 29 December 17 02:52 GMT (UK) »
One downside is SEAX Essex records are browse only. But FreeREG is making up for that as many transcriptions are from SEAX.

Thanks very much for this post, coombs. I was just looking to see if there was an update to the Suffolk register situation and came across your post about Essex. Just had a look on freereg and found three baptisms there I have been looking for for ages. Thank you!

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Friday 29 December 17 14:25 GMT (UK) »
One downside is SEAX Essex records are browse only. But FreeREG is making up for that as many transcriptions are from SEAX.

Thanks very much for this post, coombs. I was just looking to see if there was an update to the Suffolk register situation and came across your post about Essex. Just had a look on freereg and found three baptisms there I have been looking for for ages. Thank you!

Glad to be of help. Yes, Essex transcribed online PR's are getting easier and easier now thanks to FreeREG and FindMyPast and The genealogist. It has come on in leaps and bounds. But since the old IGI is no more, Suffolk seems to be quite hard to transcribe online now. I am sure many records on the new IGI have vanished.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline Trevor Rix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Friday 29 December 17 15:37 GMT (UK) »
The latest information that I have about the digitisation of Suffolk parish registers was in October 2017. Here are some extracts...

"Some record offices, who have rushed into an agreement have made their records more accessible, but have since discovered they have not obtain a good commercial deal.  SRO is trying to learn from its peers."

"It has prepared by checking and updating catalogue information on the registers held and run several market engagement sessions with the support of the Diocese and Suffolk County Council Procurement and Legal staff to better understand what is possible in a changing environment. At the last session several major companies advised they required more detail on the number of pages and names within the registers to inform discussions.  Staff completed surveying the majority of Suffolk’s over 6,800 registers by the end of March 2017. Advice was sought from The National Archives and we have been watching developments by other record offices especially London Metropolitan Archives."

"Nonetheless a meeting was held with Chris Norton, FamilySearch’s Records and Access Officer in August to learn more about their ‘Reading Room’ pilot project which is being built and tested with the Northumberland Record Office who are seeking to develop their own income stream from parish registers without licensing one of the big companies. We are therefore up to date for restarting the parish register element of the strategy later this financial year."

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Saturday 06 January 18 19:50 GMT (UK) »
That was a really helpful update. Thanks. I can totally see why they want to make the archives a continued revenue stream for them giving today's budget cut climate, but let's hope something comes together soon. However I would say it looks like it will be at least three years away if we are lucky...

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Thursday 11 January 18 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Just heard that the Lowestoft RO is to shut in 2019 to be replaced with an unmanned machine in Ipswich. This means if they dont agree to a digitisation quick and put the records online, it will be even harder for those genealogists with Suffolk roots who live within an hour of Lowestoft RO, including me. Ipswich is much further.

http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/lowestoft-record-office-replaced-unmanned-access-point-ipswich-1-5349386
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix