Author Topic: Suffolk parish registers to go online?  (Read 53922 times)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk parish registers to go online?
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 12:56 BST (UK) »
I'm eager to find out more about our Otleys because for so long I've known nothing prior to Elizabeth Otley marrying in Foulness. And of course it would be good to find out if "cousin Babs" is really a cousin. ;)

And another huge chunk of my family are from the Sudbury area, so I can't wait for these records to come online.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 13:26 BST (UK) »
I'm eager to find out more about our Otleys because for so long I've known nothing prior to Elizabeth Otley marrying in Foulness. And of course it would be good to find out if "cousin Babs" is really a cousin. ;)

And another huge chunk of my family are from the Sudbury area, so I can't wait for these records to come online.

It was a stroke of luck really, I just found in the Essex will beneficiaries that Sam Otley mentioned his nephew John Lucking of Foulness, and mother Susan Sparke. And that meant Elizabeth had a brother Samuel and mother Susan. Then I found the family originated in Stanstead, Suffolk.

When the new Suffolk records go online I am sure that several brickwalls will come crashing down to the ground. I hope to find the baptism of Richard Titshall born c1764.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline sharonmx5

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 22 October 16 18:00 BST (UK) »
I have really struggled today with reading the 18th century Registers for St Clements in Ipswich.  These are inexplicably on microfilm rather than microfiche and the quality of most of it is absolutely terrible  :(.  I'll be glad to see digital copies of the originals. I hope they are decent, but they can't be any worse.
Hudson - Ipswich, pre 1800; Devall - Colchester, pre 1780

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 23 October 16 00:17 BST (UK) »
I have really struggled today with reading the 18th century Registers for St Clements in Ipswich.  These are inexplicably on microfilm rather than microfiche and the quality of most of it is absolutely terrible  :(.  I'll be glad to see digital copies of the originals. I hope they are decent, but they can't be any worse.

I've noticed that checking PRs in the Essex Records Office Essex Ancestors database, PRs that were not easy to read as Microfiche/film, now that they have been digitally recorded are easier to read, so perhaps the Suffolk PRs images will be better.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 23 October 16 00:29 BST (UK) »

I agree the film for Ipswich St Clement covering that period is terrible.  The copy I viewed some years back was also on blue microfilm which made it worse. :-\  The first registers of Hadleigh up to the late 1600s is bad and that's on microfilm too.  I had to view the original at Bury St Edmunds because of the poor quality.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline sharonmx5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 23 October 16 08:41 BST (UK) »
It's heartening to think that things will get better.

In the meantime I have thought of maybe looking at the film over many visits of an hour at a time so that I always have fresh eyes. Frankly much of it is illegible though. Maybe I'll appeal to them for sight of the originals. I need it for research on two separate lines.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 23 October 16 15:05 BST (UK) »
I have been to the Lowestoft record office branch which has microfiche for the whole of Suffolk and some book transcripts but mainly they are for the Mutford/Lothingland district, naturally, as it is the Lowestoft branch. And a lot of their microfiche records are hard to read, I really have to examine them closely to make sure I don't miss any vital baptisms, marriages or burials which could crack cases. Even if they are illegible I still look at the faint writing closely.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 23 October 16 15:32 BST (UK) »
Maybe I'll appeal to them for sight of the originals. I need it for research on two separate lines.

Bury St Edmunds RO have definitely allowed view of the original registers in the past when the microfilm has been very unreadable (you have to show the staff the problem).  I've not been to Ipswich RO before but I would hope they would allow this in the circumstances.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline sharonmx5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 23 October 16 16:11 BST (UK) »
Yes I hope so too Smudwhisk.