Author Topic: Marriage of William Rowley, about 1752 in South Kirkby area  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of William Rowley, about 1752 in South Kirkby area
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 09:33 BST (UK) »
Good find re the Ann Rooley. Wonder if there are any other 'Rooleys' around in South Elmshall. If there aren't -- she might be the one.

Also if we find her baptism as Ann Halley (lots of opportunities for variant spellings with that one!) -- and a marriage for the parents --her mother might be an Hannah.

I will look later today hopefully.

P.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi again Caroleanne,

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the burial of an Anne Rooley, wife of William of South Elmshall in 1768.

Having had a look at Rooleys and Rowleys at South Kirkby -- it seems that this surname has been interchangeable --particularly from the later 1760s. It may be due to a change of 'scribe' of Church Registers. Viz;

Events registered with a father (or husband) shown as William of South Elmshall;

1753 baptism of Thomas Rowley
1755 baptism of William Rowley
1758 baptism of Benjamin Rowley (A Benjamin marries as Rowley in 1791 -- but Banns to the same bride and he is shown as Rooley)
1760 baptism of James Rowley
1762 baptism of Samuel Rowley
1764 baptism of Hannah Rowley
1765 baptism of Richard Rowley
1767 burial of Hannah Rooley
1767 baptism of Anne Rooley
1768 burial of Anne Rooley wife of William
1769 burial of Anne Rowley daughter of William

So -- the daughter Hannah was baptised as Rowley and buried as Rooley. The daughter Anne was baptised as Rooley and buried as Rowley.

(I hope I've got those correct!).
That's as far as I have got at the moment -- but it does look as though William Rowley's wife was named Ann/Anne.

Regards P.

Places of interest;

Offline ragt39

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 18:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your help - I think you could be right about his wife being Ann(e) but I'm not convinced about the Royston marriage, which states that both William Rowley & Anne Halley were from Cudworth parish whereas the William Rowley I have was christened in South Kirkby.  It is possible as Cudworth is not far from South Kirkby but the only Anne Halley I could find was christened in Penistone!!  Thanks again for your interest and assistance

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 19:22 BST (UK) »
Interesting to see that the William bapt in 1722 is shown as Roolley -- and around that time there are several other 'Roolleys' (without the 's' of course. I notice that the father of that particular William was named John -- but despite fathering several sons -- William hasn't named any of them after his father. That is unusual -- unless they had fallen out of course!

Maybe that's what happened and William ran away from home to Cudworth! (Only joking)

Seriously though -- in those days most young men served an apprenticeship -- even as Agricultural Labourers - these apprenticeships were not always in the same parish.

We don't really know if this is the correct William -- nor the correct wife. Unfortunately when we are looking at parish registers we are often making assumptions 'on a balance of probability' basis. I would want to see if there are any township records for South Elmshall in an Archives, just to check if any Apprenticeship Indentures, or Guardians Minute Books -- or Churchwardens records exist for that period for that parish -- just out of interest in case the Rooley/Roolley/Rowley family gets mentioned.

Good Luck
P.
Places of interest;

Offline BillAndrews

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 15:42 GMT (UK) »
The Rowley's seem to have been living in Sth Elmsall for quite a long time. I grew up on Rowley Lane which was named after the Rowley family  :)

Offline drewb159

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 April 15 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Ragt39, I've just been lurking on the board and wondered if anything else had come up as regards this in the last few months? Thing is I can trace my family back to William through his daughter Ann but like you seem to have come unstuck at that point. Would be good to know - my next thought was going out and looking through some actual archives if that was possible :-\.

Many thanks,

Andrew.