Author Topic: Marjorie Eileen Hughes  (Read 4834 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marjorie Eileen Hughes
« on: Tuesday 10 June 14 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am interested in finding out about Marjorie Eileen HUGHES, who was my father's first wife. She married Joseph Christopher BERRY on 17 July 1943 at St Thomas' Church, Overmonnow in Monmouth (Q3 1943Abergavenney 11a 61). He was a gunner in the Royal Artillery stationed in Monmouth. Her father was listed as Arthur Hughes, a retired postman. And one of the witnesses was Ivor Edward Hughes.

I have done some digging and have come up with Arthur Edward HUGHES (born Q2 1887 Monmouth 11a 36) as a possible for her father and Kate Elizabeth BICK as a possible for her mother. As far as I can see Arthur Edward HUGHES and Kate Elizabeth BICK were married in 1911 in Monmouth (Q3 1911 Monmouth 11a 38).

However, I can't seem to find her birth. The nearest I can get is Eileen M HUGHES (born Q3 1918 Monmouth 11a 53). This is far from certain, as not only are the names the wrong way round, but the age is wrong for her marriage, where she is listed as being 23.

If there are any experts on Monmouth and Monmouth families I would be grateful for any feedback about Marjorie and her family, as well as the activities of the Royal Artillery in Monmouth in 1943. All  contributions will help me gain a picture of my father during these years.

One final point, Marjorie and Joseph divorced sometime before August 1950, as that was when he married my mother. He was listed as divorced on the wedding certificate. I have no idea when or where this divorce took place. I presume that divorces arising from wartime marriage were relatively common, but have no real knowledge.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marjorie Eileen Hughes
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 June 14 12:03 BST (UK) »
I think you've got the right family. How old was Joseph at the time of the marriage? If Marjorie was older, she may have 'lost' a couple of years to make her nearer her husband's age.

The witness looks to be her eldest brother registered as Arthur I E Hughes jun qtr 1912 mmn Bick
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 June 14 18:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.

Joseph was born in Feb 1923, so she was definitely older than him.

I'm happy to order the certificate, but I'm not sure that this will give me enough information to determine for sure that I have the right woman.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 22:58 BST (UK) »
is there an address given for the bride on the marriage cert? It may be worth finding out who was living at that address on an electoral role before the war.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 June 14 15:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion, but I haven't been able to locate an appropriate electoral register. The address given for Marjorie is 4 Brook Crescent, Monmouth. The address for Joseph is simply 69th Field Regiment, Monmouth.

Offline lazydaisy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 June 14 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Greaves

Have just read your post. My grandparents Mark (known as Ivor) & Sarah Bevan lived at 22 Brook Crescent in the late 30's to mid 40's. Sadly they are no longer with us. My elderly Mother is their last surviving child - she also lived at No 22. I will ask her if she knows or can remember anything of the people you mention

Regards
Diane
Bevan familyTalgarth Brecon
Bevan family  Porth Glamorgan
Williams family  Monmouth
Williams family  Brecon
Herbert & Jenkins family  Brecon and Glamorgan
Gronow St Davids Pembrokessire

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 June 14 22:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much, that would be extremely kind.

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 August 14 18:01 BST (UK) »
I thought I would refresh this, as I still don't know when my father and Marjorie were divorced. Or indeed, whether they had any children. I would also like to know what became of Marjorie. Did she remarry? Is she still alve?

Any help would be much appreciated, as I am finding this difficult to explore, despite it being in the relatively recent past.

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 15:03 GMT (UK) »
I am refreshing this again in the hope someone new will see it and be able to spread some light. To summarise, I know that Marjorie Eileen HUGHES was born 20 Jun 1918 to Arthur Edward HUGHES and Kate Elizabeth BICK in Monmouthshire. I know that she married my father Joseph Christopher BERRY on 17 July 1943 in Monmouth, her address being 4 Brook Crescent, Monmouth. He was a serving soldier in the 69th Field Regiment of the Royal Artillery, which was stationed at Monmouth. They divorced sometime before August 1950, as that was when Joseph married my mother. My problems are that:

(i) I am not sure when and where they divorced. Where are divorce records viewable?
(ii) I am not sure whether they had any children whilst married.
(iii) I am not sure whether Marjorie re-married.
(iv) I am not sure when and where Marjorie died.

I would be grateful for any help with any of the above questions.