Author Topic: Gideon Scott - 1765 Hawick millwright  (Read 4571 times)

Offline ghscott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gideon Scott - 1765 Hawick millwright
« on: Wednesday 11 June 14 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have Gideon Scott b1765 in Hawick to Gideon and Mary Scott. He became millwright and something of a local celebrity. I suspect (and would really like to prove) that his parents had subsequent children William b1772 and James b1774 in Borthwickbrae (the records for these just show the father as Gideon Scott). They became joiners and moved south. William was involved with the Liverpool Manchester Railway and James died in Cheshire aged 91!
I'm happy to go up to the Heritage Hub if there are likely to be receords that will help.
Thanks.
George Scott. (William is my gggg grandfather)

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gideon Scott - 1765 Hawick millwright
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
The Scotts are very well researched in Douglas Scott's 'Hawick Word Book'

http://www.astro.ubc.ca/people/scott/book.pdf

I suspect that if the information you seek isn't in there, it isn't available anywhere.

Be patient for it to load- it has over 2,000 pages!)

Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline ghscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 23:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lesley - I've already had a good look through there which is interesting but doesn't help.
Looking further it doesn't look like this Gideon is the brother of William and James. I've also had contact from someone with a history of my Scotts starting mid 1800s that claims they were descended from the Scotts of Harden.
My William was born at Parkhead in Roberton to Gideon Scott in 1772. This (by sheer proximity) could be the Gideon Scott born in Wester Alemoor in 1729 (he also had a son Mungo who later had another Gideon). I've looked at all Gideon Scotts born in Scotland 1650 - 1780 and there aren't many. A few in Edinburgh that look like noble Hardens and the rest clustered round Hawick. Fathers are Gideons, Francis's, Walters and Johns - and it looks like they're all Harden descendants named probably for Sir Gideon Murray.
Putting together the different lines is tricky and is next to impossible to prove with records I can access on line.
Really appreciate any advice on what other records may help or a good way to proceed.
Thanks.

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 July 14 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
Having looked at Hubcat (the catalogue of the Heritage Hub), it doesn't look as if they hold documents in Hawick that would be useful in your search, but the online catalogue of the National Archives of Scotland in Edinburgh brings up 635 results for 'Scott of Harden' and 279 results for 'Gideon Scott', so perhaps that should be your next step.

Regards,

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline ghscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 July 14 13:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking Lesley. It's a shame the hub doesn't look like it has what i'm looking for but I'll still visit some time soon to see where my ancestors lived. I was hoping to find a local historian with interest in the Hardens. Also I've seen interesting things in the transaction of the Hawick archaeological society that have looked interesting - I presume there's a full set there. It's really tiny clues that can help - there weren't many Gideon Scotts around so it may be possible to work out which mine is. Their are two born to Francis's for example which was a Harden name then my William called one of his sons Francis.
Also I thought ownership of property might help. My elder Gideon was born in Wester Alemoor and the Hardens had title Lord Alemoor so that might help as well. It would be great to actually establish this link as the Scott DNA surname project would then have Sir Walter Scott's haplogroup.
Thanks again.
George.

Offline Border searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 September 16 19:54 BST (UK) »
I have a Robert Scott who was described as a Millar (sic) at the Registration of his daughter Mary's Marriage to James Murray in 1803. As Mary was born in Wilton in 1886 so I presume her father would have been Miller there. I am working on this right now. It would be great if we were related but I know nothing of Robert's descendants apart from Mary but I believe his wife was Janet Buckhorn.

Offline tartanvamp76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 June 19 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, this is my husbands ancestor, i found him on scotlands people, as we have Scott's on both sides of the family, my 3x great grandmother was a Scott by birth, her sister Marion married a Scott of Milsington out the Roberton way of Hawick, its through this side of the familSir Walter Scott appears at the heritage hub in hawick, which i've been a member for over 10yrs, i usually go on a tuesday when its my day off, the staff at the heritage hub a very helpful.

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 20:21 BST (UK) »
thought u might like this headstone info from st marys cemetery to help you. its part of Hawick transactions that the HUB should have turned up for you. it also gives other family info not found on headstones and invaluable..hope it helps.
3. SLATE H.S. (bound top and sides with iron oosing)-Ifi Memory of GIDEON .SCOTT
millwright Ha.wick who died the 20th April 1833 aged 68 years. alsCl MARGARET
LEITHEAD his Spouse who died 13th August 1847 ,a'/led 75 years. ,also WAL'i 'ER
SCOTT their Son who died the 6th Feby 1831 ,aged 37 years. also JOHN SCOTT
their Son who died at Gosport the 24th July 1831 e.ged 33 years.
_ Gideon Scott, in 1802, invented the working model of a reaping . me.chine upwMds of
20 ye_ars before any other effort in that direction. (See W. N. Kenne _dy's paper on him,
Traiiooctions, 1870, -pp._ 57-59.) Mr George Scott, Master of Works, 9 Twirlees Terrace, is
a grea.t-grands ·on. As Christian n.al!les often descend in families, a Bai-lie Gideon Scott,
who, in 1716, bequeathed £20 to the Kirk Session-for the poort may have been an e.ncestor.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Neither by chance nor fate"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 August 20 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have a Gideon Scott, born Greenlaw, Berwick 1852, who married a Margaret Rutherford lived in Hawick about 1881 onwards, had six children

1881 Agnes born Melrose
1884 - 1976 Elizabeth born Hawick
1886 Jessie born Hawick
1888 - 1957 George born Hawick
1891 Margaret Rutherford born Hawick
1899 Emily

Any connection?

Andi
Co Durham_and_Roxburgh_Rutherford
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Northumberland/Durham_Thompson_Rutherford
Cumberland_Nichols_(Holliday_Jackson-Flimby_area)
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty