Author Topic: William McClelland of Waterford  (Read 4829 times)

Offline casafaustino

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William McClelland of Waterford
« on: Wednesday 11 June 14 20:01 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the early history of my great-grandfather, William, in Waterford. I know he married a Margaret Connolly in 1875 at Clonmel, Tipperary. His father was Hugh McClelland whose occupation was a given as a carpenter. Around 1878-9, William and Margaret emigrated to England with their first child, Hugh,William died in 1919 in Manchester, following a fall. So far I have had no success in identifying any birth record of William in Ireland. From the different English censuses, William appears to have been born between 1850 -1853/4; on the 1911 census he said he had been born in Waterford.
I am interested in finding birth record or any siblings or other relatives, possibly in Waterford, Tipperary area where there was a small cluster of McClelland families as evidenced in the Griffiths records.
Anybody offer any help or information please? Many thanks Chris Hughes

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William McClelland of Waterford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 21:58 BST (UK) »
There are Hugh McClelland in the Tithe Applotment Books 1825
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=McClelland&firstname=Hugh&county=&parish=&townland=&search=Search
A bit early but perhaps a earlier generation.
Can't find a birth.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 22:12 BST (UK) »
www.waterfordcountylibrary.ie have an online Death Register. What denomination were the family? :)

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 June 14 10:03 BST (UK) »
Waterford Mail Wednesday 17th May 1848 pg 3 , "Of Consumption on Monday night the 15th Rhoda Maria , the youngest daughter of Mr. McClelland of Colbeck Street " .  In Slaters 1846 directory there is a Robert & son Carpenter and builder at Colbeck Street. She is buried in the graveyard of the Abbey Church , Kilculliheen Waterford.  Inscription reads " Sacred to the memory of Rhoda Maria youngest daughter of Robert McClelland of Waterford , who died 15th May 1848 aged 21 years".

Offline casafaustino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 June 14 15:24 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies - much appreciated. Will follow up. Denomination possibly Presbyterian but not sure. Married in Church of Ireland in Clonmel but buries in 1919 in RC section of cemetery in Manchester, England.