Author Topic: Ridgell of Barley Herts  (Read 2000 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ridgell of Barley Herts
« on: Friday 13 June 14 15:36 BST (UK) »
I have a bit of a puzzle with the Ridgells of Barley.
Elizabeth Ridgell married John Livermore on 17 Oct 1781 in Barley. FindMyPast says Barkway, but the banns were read in Barley and both were otp. The rector reading banns and carrying out marriage shortly after was the same so I suspect FindMyPast has mistakenly put Barkway.
Elizabeth was buried (as Elizabeth Livermore) on 21 Jan 1816 in Barley. Age at death would make her birth year 1752.
The only Elizabeth Ridgell I can find in the local area is one bapt in Barley in Jan 1761 dau of Robert and Ann. A Robert Ridgell married Ann Atkins in Nov 1760. I have seen scan of both banns and marriage record so definitely recorded as Ann. This is another one where banns are in Barley, both parties otp, but marriage apparently in Barkway. Can't believe St Margaret of Antioch was out of use for over 20 years and Barley's vicar went to Barkway to perform marriages. No United Benefice in those days.
Robert Ridgell is buried in Barley in 1779, no age given, but as no other likely candidates I assume it is the right one. No sign of an Ann Ridgell being buried or remarrying, but there is a burial for an Elizabeth Ridgell widow in Barley in 1793.
These are the only Ridgells (of various spellings) in Barley and surrounding villages in this time period.

Was my Elizabeth Ridgell Livermore actually born in 1861 and a mistake was made by whoever recorded it or whoever informed the vicar. Her husband died six years after her, so I would have thought he would have been the informant and got it right. If she was born in 1761, she would be 20 at marriage which is quite possible.

Was the Elizabeth Ridgell widow actually Ann widow of Robert and another mistake made here? Otherwise what happened to Ann and where did Elizabeth come from?

Any thoughts?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ridgell of Barley Herts
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 October 14 14:30 BST (UK) »
Still trying to track down the Riddgells. The closest I've seen for the baptism of Robert is Robert Redgwell son of Michael and Ann 28th Nov 1737 priv Cambridge. This was in the non-conformist records on ancestry. If the right Robert he would be 23 at marriage (assuming baptism fairly soon after birth). But would Cambridge be too far from Barley? Today we think nothing of a 15 mile journey. But if they were non-conformists perhaps this was the nearest place.

I have found a possible baptism for Ann Atkins in Barkway in Sept 1743. This would make her 17 at marriage.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott