Author Topic: Margaret Linklater 1834 - 1912  (Read 7197 times)

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Linklater 1834 - 1912
« on: Saturday 14 June 14 06:40 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the birth/christening record for Margaret Linklater b 22 Oct 1834 in Birsay, Orkney, daughter of Andrew Linklater and Jean Johnston. (OPR Births 013/00 0020 0037 Birsay) but am unable to decipher where the family lived. Can any one help? It is something like Langsh??? Barony ???. FHL Film Number: 919497.
Cheers
Jill

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Linklater 1834 - 1912
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 June 14 06:55 BST (UK) »
she was christened on 5th jan 1835 in Birsay
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X187-XFS
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 June 14 03:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you, and yes I have that information. However there are several Margaret Linklaters on Scotland's people and I am trying to determine where the family lived. It is something like Langsh??? Barony???? I have tried googling and looked at maps around the Birsay area but would really love to know what that word is. I see that Barony is a little spot near Birsay but don't know what the Langsh??? is. cheers Jill

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 June 14 07:08 BST (UK) »
Could it be "Longshore  ,Barony "   is Barony on the coast / beach ..?

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 June 14 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hi all ,

Looking at the 1841 Census transciptions on FreeCEN the only close address showing for Birsay is Langskaill.

There is a Margt Linklater age 6 at that address , not sure about the others though.

http://www.freecen.org.uk/

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 June 14 08:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ev . . . .that's definitely it. Now I can delve further.  I am having great difficulty going further into the Linklaters and Johnsons as there are so many of them, all named John or Andrew or Margaret. I'm trying to chase up Margaret's brother now who was born in 1832. I could really do with a little help on this. Andrew Linklater b 1798 d 1881 was married three times, the first time to Jane (or is it Jean) who was born about 1809. These guys are defying my detective powers! Jill

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 June 14 13:55 BST (UK) »
Jill,  have you tried the Cursiter website?

http://www.cursiter.com/

Skoosh.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 June 14 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill

Jane v. Jean doesn't really matter. Scots (and Irish too) loved chopping and changing first names by often using variants. Great site here for background on first name and variants (particularly strong for Scotland although expanding too) see www.whatsinaname.net/female-names/Jane.html

...I'm trying to chase up Margaret's brother now who was born in 1832. I could really do with a little help on this...

What sort of help are you looking for on him? Is this his entry here https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X18W-JJC There looks to be a number of online family trees for him on A/try.

He left for Australia? The death index gives his death in 1920 in Queensland, with full parents' names. Married Olivia Lavinia Hicks in Queensland in 1858?

There are two Johns it seems born around the same time in Birsay. This must be the right entry for him with what you and Ev mention (another wife for Andrew?):

Margt Linklater 40
John Linklater 8
Margt Linklater 6
May Linklater 3
Address: Langshaill, Birsay

Do you know what John's occupation was in later years? Just thinking of trying to find him in 1851. Can't easily see him then. I think the only John Linklater showing may the other one showing as below for 1851:

John Flet 84, widowed b. Sandwick
Jannet Flet 34 servant b. Sandwick       
John Linklater 18 lodger mason b. Birsay
Address: Newhouse, Birsay

I thought this John in 1851 would be the one from 1841, showing as an 8yr old, living with a John and Mary Flett in Beaquoy, Birsay.

Can't easily see Margaret's brother John in 1851...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 05:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Skoosh - what a fabulous site Cursiter is. I intend to spend all arvo browsing and hope to come up with some connections. I'm hoping they will soon add deaths.

Monica - I think I need to solve when Jean/Jane Linklater died which would have to be between 1834 and 1838 because of Margaret's age (assuming she died and didn't divorce). I think that might tell the story of Margaret leaving Scotland to come to her brother in Australia. Originally I had thought that John had come out with Margaret but since he was married in Australia in 1858 and she didn't arrive until 1862, I think that is incorrect. I can't find him on any Australian census so not sure what his story is. I know Margaret arrived in Nov 1862 and was married in June 1863 at her brother's home so assume John was already settled in Australia, not sure of what occupation. I have emailed connections on Ancestry and am waiting to hear from them.

What I am trying to achieve is to go further back on Andrew Linklater's side as well as Jean/Jane Johnston. I think that prove to be a hard task.

I like your suggestion about another wife for Andrew (Margaret) - it seems to tie in.

Guess I'll just keep on trying and trying and trying . . . . .
Thanks
Jill