Author Topic: William Hayes, born around 1827ish  (Read 2587 times)

Offline katyH2811

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Hayes, born around 1827ish
« on: Tuesday 17 June 14 02:42 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any information on William (middle name possibly Peter) Hayes, who may have been born around 1827, and was from Flintshire. He moved to Australia, and my grandfather seems to think he may have been 19 when he came over. I have found a 'William Hayes' on a passenger record, who was from Flintshire, boarded a ship at Liverpool and docked in Adelaide, Australia (which matches known facts) and was 19 when he boarded, but the boat sailed in 1854 - so not 100% sure if the birth date of 1827 is correct. My grandfather seems to think he may have worked as a butcher, and may have had a sister, but that is all we really know. Looking to trace William and hopefully his parents. Thanks in advance :)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Hayes, born around 1827ish
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 06:19 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry with this person with family photos they are not sure also where he was born Flintshire Wales /Liverpool ....they have him married to a Mary Statford and a death for him in Adelaide 1913

Offline katyH2811

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 06:25 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry with this person with family photos they are not sure also where he was born Flintshire Wales /Liverpool ....they have him married to a Mary Statford and a death for him in Adelaide 1913

Thank you for this, I have just not long found this tree. That's the right William (he did marry Mary Stratford), I wasn't aware that the may have been born in Liverpool, so I will look into this avenue :) thanks again

Offline MikeDavies38

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 19:59 BST (UK) »
There is a record of a William Hayes, apprentice butcher in Mold in 1851.  He was 16 which gives a possible birth of 1835. He was in the same address in 1841 with the same family, Ann Peters and family.  Ann was a lodging house keeper and her son, Edward was a butcher.  There was an Elizabeth Hayes also in 1851, a servant but no relationship is given.
Mike
Davies, Bywater, Murray, Gaunt, Benton, Jones, Richardson

Offline katyH2811

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 23:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Mike :)
I'm pretty sure that that IS my William. My grandfather thinks that William may have had a sister, so it would make sense that Elizabeth would be related to him.
I'm currently looking for a birth record for either of them, to hopefully locate their parents' names. Not having much luck at this stage, but I'll keep on persevering! :)