Author Topic: Passenger List - 1855 voyage "Malacca" Chile to Adelaide  (Read 8579 times)

Offline wclutter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger List - 1855 voyage "Malacca" Chile to Adelaide
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 April 18 06:29 BST (UK) »
I have an unconfirmed list of 13 Chilean Muleteers who worked for the copper mines.
One of them, Jose (Joseph) Pizarro is my Great Great Grandfather of whom I have a reasonable amount of detail.
Some of this information actually disputes much information that I have seen on the web. For example it has been stated that Jose spent 3 years in SA and 54 years in Vic. This is incorrect as I have a birth certificate for one of his children showing that the birth took place in 1869 in SA and the next child was born in Victoria in 1871. This places Jose in SA for 14 years, maybe 15.

Please contact me if you wish to exchange information.

Offline Ret 65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 April 18 14:29 BST (UK) »
Oh you have struck gold! I would love to see this info please.  :D :D :D

This was my great great grandfather, I stem from Elizabeth Mary born abt 1873 in Clunes VIC. All the others before her were born in SA. She married George Thomas who's family came from Wales.

Joseph was in SA until the mine ran out of copper. He arrived there in 1855. I have his naturalisation papers dated 1901 at the age of 66.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Retta Palmer 

Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline wclutter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 06:16 BST (UK) »
Retta,
I am more than happy to share the information with you but I am unable to read your email address or send you mine using this forum. Once I can gain access to the Personal Messaging system I should be able to send you my email address and once we have shared our addresses I can start sending your the info that I have collated.

In the meantime I will send a separate message with some basic info - this should get me access to the PM system

Wayne

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 03 May 18 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Wayne
I have been having computer problems so haven't replied earlier.  Your list sounds very interesting and I am wondering if my wife's relative, CLEMENT BRALLA (or VARELA), appears on it?
Cheers,  Bill
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),
Emery & Treasure (Somerset). Goode, King, Flack (Cambridge)

Offline wclutter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 04 May 18 04:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Bill,

Nice to hear from you.

Your wife's relative Clement BRALLA is definitely on my list of Muleteers employed by the Copper Mines.
There were supposedly a total of 26 muleteers at Burra (some reports indicate 22 or 20). Of these 26 I have a total of 15 names.

I too searched for my relative (Jose 'Joseph' Pizarro) on a ships list. During that research I discovered that the South Americans were not considered to be passengers and were never listed. Being stubborn like I am I decided to try to determine that names of the various muleteers and thus began my research into the muleteers. I have had some success and might suggest that there is still more information out there to be found.

Before I give details about Clement BRALLA, I will give you a little history of the Malacca and muleteers.

It seems that the Malacca made three trips from South America to Australia carrying mules and muleteers. These trips are:
18 Jul 1853: Arrived at Port Wakefield from London (23 Jan 1853) via Rio De Janeiro (21 Mar 1853) and Montevideo, Uruguay (19 May 1853)
The ship listed 70 mules and 6 muleteers (Names of the muleteers are: Hurtley, Moiraran, Lambert, Puire, Grasan, Bilart)

11 Apr 1854: Arrived in Adelaide from Valparaiso, Chile (6 Dec 1853) via Coquimbo, Chile (19 Dec 1853), Tahiti (15 Feb 1854) and Sydney Australia (17 Mar 1854). An Inwards Register in Sydney showed 210 mules and 6 muleteers on-board.

3 Mar 1855: Arrived at Port Wakefield from Valparaiso, Chile via Auckland (8 Jun 1854) and Adelaide (17 Feb 1855). The ship listed 200 mules and 14 Muleteers (Chilian Natives).

It would probably be best if I could email to you the various information that I have regarding Clement BRALLA - You can provide your email address by sending a Personal Message through this sites messaging system.

Regards

Wayne

Offline wclutter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 04 May 18 04:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Bill,

Due to a character limit per message I had to break the information into 2 parts. As I indicated in the first message it would be best if I could email the information to you as it does include some images (records and newspaper articles).

Here goes with the second part:

Since the three trips did not list any muleteers by name I have compiled a list of names based on various information I have obtained during my research. This includes ships records, newspaper articles and information given by other researchers (ie names of relatives who they thought were muleteers).

The names I have to date are listed below against the various trips:

18 Jul 1853 arrival:
Bilart
Grasan
Hurtley
Moiraran
Lambert
Puire

11 Apr 1854 arrival:
Clement Bralla
Martino Erindorff
Agustin Alderete

3 Mar 1855 arrival:
Pascual Benito
'Simon' Don Juan Ricardo Cornego
Santrajo (Santiago) 'James' Olivares
Juan Ortega
Juan 'John' Perez
Jose 'Joseph' Pizarro

Given that the information to hand indicates a total of 26 muleteers I have managed to obtain the names of 15 muleteers - 11 to go!!!

One thing of note is that the names of the first six muleteers is more English than Spanish, but this is not surprising as these six came from Montevideo, Uruguay which at that time had a large English influence due the British support that was provided during the siege of Montevideo. Whilst these muleteers most probably spoke Spanish there is a chance that their heritage was English/European. These muleteers were never mentioned as being Chilean until after the 14 muleteers from the third trip arrived.

The second six muleteers also have European like names rather than Spanish. Like Montevideo, Uruguay, Chilean cities also had a large European influence and it is possible that these 6 muleteers, whilst able to speak Spanish were of European descent. These muleteers were never mentioned as being Chilean until after the 14 muleteers from the third trip arrived.

The final 14 muleteers do appear to be Chilean, based on their Spanish type names. Newspaper reports also referred to them individually as being Chilean or Spanish.

You most probably have this information but I have included it in case there is some snippet of information that you are missing.
I am not 100% sure of the children as it would require further research based on birth, death and marriage certificates.

Clement BRALLA
Buried at Port Augusta Cemetery on 6 Jun 1918 (Reg 419/82) after passing away on 4 Jun 1918 – Block 21/Grave 12.
married Johanna BALEYS on 29 Dec 1861 in St Mary Church, Wallaroo Mine, Clare Reg 48/380
Johanna died in 1881 at Frome Reg 108/391
Married Martha DEDMAN in 1891 in Frome Reg 166/34

Children:

Mary Ann BRALLA
born 1863 in Burra Reg 28/280; Father Clement BRALLA; Mother Johanna BAILEY
Married John Henry REID in 1881 at Frome Reg 126/541
Died 1959 at Adelaide Reg 893/4403

Dolphenia BRALLA born 1864 in Burra Reg 34/47; Father Clement BRALLA; Mother Johanna BAILEY

Ruphina BRALLA
born 1866
Married James Clark PARSONS in 1885 at Frome Reg 144/781

William Emmanuel BRALLA
born 1871
Died in 1894 at Innaminka; interned at Innaminka Cemetery

Edgar BRALLA born 1873 at Blinman, South Australia
Died on 6 May 1917 in France. Buried at Grevillers British Cemetery, France
http://ww1sa.gravesecrets.net/br.html

Amos Clement BRALLA
Born 1875
Never married
Died in 1931 in Adelaide Reg 532/438

Louisa Victoria BRALLA
born 1876 in Frome Reg 176.108; Father Clement BRALLA; Mother Johanna BAILEY
Married Alfred Walker and had a child
-   Martha May  born in 1901 Reg 673/469
-   Martha died in 1901 in Adelaide Reg 277/485
Married Thomas McKay McPHARLIN in 1913 at Frome Reg 257/455

Arthur BRALLA
born 4 Mar 1879 in Beltana, South Australia;
died: 11 Dec 1903 in Adelaide, South Australia Reg 298/428;
Father Clement BRALLA; Mother Johanna BAILEY

Amelia BRALLA
born 7 Jan 1881 in Beltana, South Australia (Reg 253/296);
died: 8 Jan 1881 in Beltana, South Australia Reg 108/232;
Father Clement BRALLA; Mother Juana QUALLOON|

I also have for BRALLA
Clement BRALLA's naturalization Papers for 1911
Clement BRALLA's naturalization papers for 1915
Military Records for Amos BRALLA
Military Records for Edgar BRALLA

Regards,

Wayne

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 04 May 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the trouble that you have gone to Wayne; I will check all that info to our records to make sure that we have it all.
I have advised you of our email address by PM.
Thanks,   Bill
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),
Emery & Treasure (Somerset). Goode, King, Flack (Cambridge)

Offline Sue White

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 00:19 GMT (UK) »
I too would very much like to gather more information about the passengers on the Malacca. My interest is John/Jacob Day/Dae/Dia who arrived from Valparaiso and Coquimba per Malacca according to his naturalisation papers. He was a Burra and surrounds.
Sue

Offline Patrick Weir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 16 March 19 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi wclutter (Wayne),

I'd love to see any information you've found on the 3 Mar 1855 arrivals! Juan Perez is my ancestor (3x GreatGrandfather), our family has information on how he lived, married and died since coming to Australia but nothing about his arrival or time before! He married a Welsh woman and moved to Menindee where he was killed in 1872 (only 43).

I'm unsure how to send you a message on here, so hope to get a reply from you soon!

Best,

Patrick