Author Topic: Philip JEAN  (Read 7113 times)

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Philip JEAN
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 June 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Dennis,

I have been working at the Jersey Archive so looked up the marriage for you.
The marriage took place on April 12th 1852 and is in the St Saviour's register. The details are as follows,

Philippe Jean, aged 19, bachelor, occupation Barber (which fits with the baptism entry on the Jersey Archive site for Philip born 1854) born in St Helier and living in St Helier. Father Francois Jean, occupation Tailor.

Jane Le Breton, aged 22, spinster, no occupation, born in St Helier and living in St Helier. Father Philippe Le Breton, occupation Carpenter.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 June 14 16:28 BST (UK) »
Nice work  8)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline denby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 June 14 17:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Pam. 

I have his parents as Francois JEAN and Elizabeth Marie COLVIL, married at St Lawrence 26 Aug 1821.

Can this marriage be located, to find their parents?  They were possibly: his: Philippe Jean & Elizabeth Arthur and hers: Jean Colville & Elizabeth Lammy, but want to be sure.

Thanks for your help, as always.

Best regards,  Dennis

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 June 14 19:57 BST (UK) »
I have the same parents for Philippe from his baptism
St Helier 20/01/1833 son of Francois Jean and Elizabeth Colvil his wife. The godparents were Philippe Payn and Susanne de Bourcier, his wife.

Unfortunately for the marriage we're back  into parish registers (and yes I also have the St Lawrence marriage) where parents of the bride and groom are rarely mentioned. The problem you have is that all of these names are quite common and it's often a case of looking at siblings and godparents to help determine whether you have the right connections.

There is a possible baptism for Jane Le Breton in St Helier, 1/6/1828, daughter of Philippe Le Breton and Rachel Vincent, his wife. Godparents David Noel and Jeanne Le Breton.
The 1841 census for St Helier has a Philo Breton, a Carpenter, aged 50 living in St Helier with probably a daughter Rachel, aged 20 so that looks very likely. He's still around in 1851 and gives his birth parish as Trinity - no surprises there, most of the Le Bretons came from Trinity at some point!

I'll do a bit more digging over the weekend

Offline denby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 June 14 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Pam,

and thanks again, Carol (Just saw your previous post).  Both of your help has been most appreciated.

Dennis