Author Topic: John Davies of Stone House, Bwlch-y-cibau, Llanfyllin  (Read 8998 times)

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
John Davies of Stone House, Bwlch-y-cibau, Llanfyllin
« on: Saturday 21 June 14 14:08 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help. My ancestor John Davies was born in 1850 in Llanfyllin and died in 1876 Stonehouse, LLanfechain, Montgomeryshire. He married a lady called Hannah Capper from Flintshire where he had two children Mary Jane 1873 and John Thomas 1876. He married Hannah in 1872 in Shrewsbury Shropshire.
Im having great difficulty finding his parents. I believe his father was also called John, but im unsure of his mother. Possible siblings inc ThomasHenry and Elizabeth.

I dont have many Welsh ancestors so searching these records doesnt seem to come as easy as the English.

Tom
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Davies of Stone House, Bwlch-y-cibau, Llanfyllin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 June 14 15:04 BST (UK) »
The Welsh records work just the same way as the English ones do. If you look at freebmd.org.uk and search on births for John Davies registered in Llanfyllin at the right time then you will get a starting point which you can then hopefully keep eliminating until you find the right one. I looked at 1849 to 1851 just to allow a bit of leeway and found 14 John Davies.

I would suggest your next step would be to look at census records for 1851 and see if that will help you to pin down the correct John and his parents.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 June 14 15:29 BST (UK) »
As Craclyn says the Welsh records are no different, they are just harder to research with the abundance of similar names  ;)

It may also be a good idea if you post details of the family after the marriage, we may be able to work backwards then.  Also the details from the marriage certificate regarding John ie occupation, fathers name/occupation, witnesses & date

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 June 14 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

I have found a John Davies born 1850 Llanfyllin on the 1861 Census living with his parents John Davies Born 1826 Trefeglwys & Jane Davies born 1814 Llanbrynmair. There is a brother Thomas H born 1852 Meifod & sister Elizabeth born 1853 Meifod. They are living at Trefarman Farm, Trefnannau, Llanfyllin and Father's occupation Farmer of 140 Acres employing 4 labourers.

Hope this is who you are looking for,

Kind Regards,

Ellen

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 June 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
The marriage cert actually came through the post this afternoon confirming Johns father as John. I knew already that John 1850 was a bailiff for Sir Wyndham Hanmer until it was discovered that he and his wife were dissenters from religion, where upon John was dismissed and they returned to Llanfyllin from the flint/cheshire boarder.

I think the family you have found Ellen is the right one. I had come across them before and it would seem Jane was the second wife of John snr and the step mother to his 3 children.
I cant find a marriage for John and Jane, but did think that Anne Worthington could be his first wife marrying her in 150 Llandiloes.......
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 June 14 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Tom,once again!

There is a very probable marriage in 1859 given on North Wales BMD as a Llanfyllin Civil Marriage of a John Davies and a Jane Jones,it also being given as in the Llanfyllin District of Montgomeryshire on Free BMD in 1859.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 June 14 10:47 BST (UK) »
That does look probable! Looking at other census returns it would seem Jane was married before to a Thomas Jones, with whom he she had several children. I think their marriage may have been in 1838 in Llanwddyn. Her maiden name being Corfield.
It just finding Johns first wife thats proving difficult

Tom

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 June 14 10:54 BST (UK) »
Looking again Tom,I really don't fancy the possible Worthington/Davies marriage in 1850.It is given as taking place at Llanidloes in 1850 on North Wales BMD.Knowing the area Llanidloes is quite some way from Llanfyllin.A better bet may be one given in the Llanfyllin District of Mongomeryshire in 1849 in the  September quarter between a John Davies and an Anne Jones,Volume 27,Page 79.Only these two names are given for this marriage.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 June 14 11:07 BST (UK) »
Though after finding John and Anne Davies with son John aged four months in 1851 with the Worthington family I'm now not so sure!
HO107/2496/217/9.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire