Author Topic: Samuel J.B. Foss ( New Zealand)  (Read 2716 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Samuel J.B. Foss ( New Zealand)
« on: Saturday 21 June 14 17:08 BST (UK) »
I am prompted to post this following a visit yesterday to the Extension Cemetery at Dernancourt, Somme, France. I found his grave without difficulty but didn't realise until I had visited other cemeteries with my friends, that a Visitor's Book is to be found at these places. It was too late for me to add a few words at Dernancourt and I was sorry for that. Hope this will be useful to others. T.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel J.B. Foss ( New Zealand)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 September 14 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony....How disappointing for you to find out too late...I was so pleased that there was a book of remembrance for me to sign when I visited a relative's grave near Arras in July as I was told that some of them were missing from their metal cabinets.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline healyjfch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel J.B. Foss ( New Zealand)
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 September 14 07:47 BST (UK) »
The visitors books could become very useful in the future.
Lists of names and where the people have visited.
Thank you very much for sharing.
Is there any possibility of having the visitor books mentioned on tourist guide books.
It must be very annoying to find out when you are left the country that such books exist.
At least you had the knowledge for the other places.