Author Topic: Ellicott drapers of Torquay  (Read 2637 times)

Offline ric3188

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellicott drapers of Torquay
« on: Monday 23 June 14 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hello.
I'm looking for more information about businesses in Torquay around the turn of the 20th century. Census records show both Alfred Edgar Goss ELLICOTT and his sister Adela ELLICOTT were in the drapery business and I want to confirm whether or not it was the same business. Alfred has his own family and lived in Babbacombe, while Adela lived nearby in St Marychurch with her parents and her two sisters, Annie and Julia, who she is listed as employing in the/her business. In the same census (1911) Alfred is listed as a draper, shopkeeper and employer. The 1911 directory is available online but while it lists everyone as residents, there's only the one business "A&J Ellicott, drapers and milliners" - (the milliner in the family was Julia Ellicott). It's confusing enough to warrant looking into to make certain of the arrangements within the family - can anyone help?
Also, their father William and brother William jnr ran a carriage/cab company in the town from the 1880s out of 33 Fore Street - any information about this business would be gratefully received too.

The question is; where, apart from travelling to Exeter records office, can I find out more about Torquay businesses at this time?
ROBINSON (South Africa, England - Kent)
CURRIE
ELLICOTT
LEITH

Offline ric3188

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ellicott drapers of Torquay
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 July 15 14:10 BST (UK) »
It's been a while since I posted this and I've found out a little more. Anything I find goes on my blog at https://toomanyphilips.wordpress.com/. Specific info about this topic: https://toomanyphilips.wordpress.com/2014/11/05/a-natural-death/.

Thanks for reading, and if you can add anything more please get in touch.
Ric
CURRIE
ELLICOTT
LEITH

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 July 15 10:48 BST (UK) »
BURIALS FROM MY TORQUAY DATABASE:-

ELLICOTT   Adela   
was buried:-   16 December 1941   age:-   85   notes/address:-   15 Beechfield Avenue, Barton   where:-   St marychurch                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
ELLICOTT   Annie Louisa   was buried:-   08 January 1951   age:-   83   notes/address:-   15 Beechfield Avenue, Barton   where:-   St Marychurch                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
ELLICOTT   Grace   was buried:-   30 April 1913   age:-   82   notes/address:-   12 Fore Street, St Mary Church   where:-   St Marychurch   MI 27                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
ELLICOTT   William   was buried:-   30 May 1918   age:-   72   notes/address:-   Westworthy, Bondleigh   where:-   St Marychurch   MI 27                                                                                                                                                                     

memorial inscription- St Marychurch:-
27.   In loving memory of   / Grace ELLICOTT  / Who died 25th April 1913  / Aged 82 years  / Also  / William ELLICOTT her husband  / who died 26th May 1918  / Aged 92 years.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline ric3188

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Terry, I'm sorry it's taken 6 months to reply -  don't seem to have had a notification of your post.

Ric
CURRIE
ELLICOTT
LEITH