Author Topic: Carter from Earlston  (Read 2846 times)

Offline BabaSam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carter from Earlston
« on: Monday 23 June 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Thomas and Agnes Ewing Carter, whose family emigrated to New York in 1831. They were weavers, their son Robert was a teacher, became a publisher in New York. I don't have dates for Thomas and Agnes or any information on prior generations.  I have digitised a self-published family history from the New York family which takes them back to Earlston, and can offer a copy to anyone interested. I live in London and plan to visit Earlston in early August. I am descended from Thomas and Agnes' daughter Mary.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jdmg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Carter from Earlston
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 December 16 20:25 GMT (UK) »
I have information of two sons of a Nicol Carter of Earlston. Both were born in Earlston, Nicol in 1798 and Andrew in 1800. Both were in business in Edinburgh and died there. I would be interested if they link to your family.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline BabaSam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Carter from Earlston
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 December 16 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Nichol and Andrew do not show in my records.  I spent time in the family history centre in Galashiels and they could confirm information I had but didn't have more.  So I only have the parents, Thomas Carter and Agnes Nancy Ewing (from Sprouston) and their children: Thomas (b1804), Robert (1806), Agnes (1809), Margaret (1811), Janet (1814), John (1816), Mary (1818, my ancestor), James (abt 1821), Peter, Isabella, Walter (1823).