Author Topic: Gwern y Brechtyn / Nant y Ffreur *COMPLETED*  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Keith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Gwern y Brechtyn / Nant y Ffreur *COMPLETED*
« on: Wednesday 25 June 14 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I wonder if anybody can point me in the right direction. I'm trying to find the location of two properties but so far have drawn a blank. The properties are:

Gwern y Brechtyn. This apparently was in the Bala/Corwen area. It was owned by the Lloyd family and the last mention I can find is when Jane, the daughter of Thomas Lloyd of Gwern y Brechtyn married William Wynn, son of John Wynn of Gwydir in 1628.

Nant y Ffreur. I have a feeling that this was also in the Bala/Corwen area, but have not been able to confirm this. Nant y Ffreur was also in the possession of the Lloyd family.

If anyone can help I'd be so grateful.

Regards,

Keith.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Gwern y Brechtyn / Nant y Ffreur
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 12:00 BST (UK) »
Keith,

I've found a mention of your Lloyds on The National Library of Wales newspaper archive:

http://papuraunewyddcymru.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3113492/ART52

The text hasn't unfortunately been computerised correctly. The title of the article is "Achau Syr Watkin Williams Wynn, Barnwig, O Wynnstay" (The family history of Sir Watkin Williams, bart, from Wynnstay"

Newspaper: Tarian Y Gweithiwr (translated as 'The worker's shield')

(Incidentaly here's a picture of Sir Watkin Williams possibly: http://www.wrexham.gov.uk/welsh/heritage/sir_watkin_welsh/wider_picture_gallery/wider_picture.htm )

It's at the end of that article - I've had a go at translating it for you below (I'm not great with written Welsh):

2. Williams Wynn (the sixth son), sixth son to Sir John Wynn, the first bart, that is Williams Wynn Esq "Prothonotary Wales" who married daughter and heiress of Thomas Lloyd from Gwern-y-Brechtyn, and was father to daughter and heiress.
Sidney Wynn, she married Edward Thelwall Esq from Blas-y-Ward in Denbighshire who was mother to daughter and heiress Jane Thelwall, who was born December 25th 1605. This lady married the bart Sir William Williams, in 1639 (the bart) from Lanforda, who was mother to Sir Watkin Williams, bart, from Lanforda, him after Sir John Wynn the last bart, who came into possession to the effects of Gwydir and Watstay, and he additionally  took the surname and banerarfau (coats of Arms??) Wynn.
From Syr Watkin Williams Wynn y deillia y diweddar farnwig Syr Watkin Williams Wynn.

(I haven't a clue of the last phrase there, or the word 'banerarfau' so hopefully somebody with better literary Welsh can help here. Possibly baerarfau means 'titles' 'or 'coats of arms' at a guess because the two words baner arfau literally are flags and arms ).

Trystan

PS Not found anything there on Nant y Ffreur
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Keith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Gwern y Brechtyn / Nant y Ffreur
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 June 14 01:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Trystan. I've now managed to locate both properties thanks to a Rootschatter who contacted me directly.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Gwern y Brechtyn / Nant y Ffreur *COMPLETED*
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 10:33 BST (UK) »
Keith,

I forgot, but you're a Welsh speaker yourself - so I didn't need to translate that in the end! :)

You've got me intrigued now, out of curiosity where are these two properties?

Trystan
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Keith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Trystan,

As I suspected, they were very near each other. Nant y Ffreur is no more, but Gwern y Brechtyn (now called Gwern-y-braich-dwr) is just off the A494 Bala road, not far from Glan yr Afon.

Regards,

Keith.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 21:39 BST (UK) »
Keith,

That's great to know - glad you found them too.  :)

Trystan