Author Topic: who were her parents?  (Read 3073 times)

Offline ericalauren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
who were her parents?
« on: Wednesday 25 June 14 15:28 BST (UK) »
Can you help with the name of her parents?

Mary Johnston born 1890 Ecclesmachan, Linlithgow.  On the 1891 census she is living with George & Mary Johnston and her relationship is grand-daughter.

Thank you.

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: who were her parents?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you done a search for her birth on the ScotlandsPeople website (http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk)? It contains Scottish birth, marriage and death registrations from their start in 1855, as well as a lot of other records. It's a pay for site but you can buy units in lots of £7 (or cheaper if you buy the units through your library in Scotland). Alternatively if you are within reach of Edinburgh, a day at the ScotlandsPeople Centre costs £15 and you can look up as many records as you like, including more recent ones (births for the last 100 years, marriages for the last 75 and deaths for the last 50) which are not available online. See http://www.scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk/

I had a quick look online and found the index entry for the birth of a Mary Johnstone in Ecclesmachan, West Lothian in 1890 (no Mary Johnston).

Hope this helps.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 16:49 BST (UK) »
She is still with her grandparents in the 1901 census perhaps her mother died when she was born which happened a lot ....You could look for a marriage and that should also give you details  :)
Also see if she is in the 1911 census with them

Offline firthview

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 22:49 GMT (UK) »
I have a Mary Hart born Ecclesmachan 1890 to Elizabeth Johnstone and Samuel Findlay Hart,it has the fathers name on the certificate but states Mary is Illegitimate.It is the only Mary Johnstone born there in that year,it would have been her grandparents George Johnstone and Mary McLEAN  his wife whom she was staying with.George died in 1904,Mary Mclean died 1931.
Graham---Dumfries
Johnston---Mid Calder
Lyon----Abbey Parish
Sherlock---Ireland
Mcleish----Ireland and Scotland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 November 14 23:58 GMT (UK) »

I had a quick look online and found the index entry for the birth of a Mary Johnstone in Ecclesmachan, West Lothian in 1890 (no Mary Johnston).

Erica, It's difficult to know how experienced you are in researching. Janealogy could have, however, suggested for your search regarding the surname Johnstone (regardless of spelling), to choose the option of "Traditional soundex" which will bring up Johnson/Johnston/Johnstone or any other variant.

Annie.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Alibeegood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 November 14 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi there!

I checked out your Mary Johnston of Ecclesmachan on ScotlandsPeople. This is definitely 'your' Mary….

Born 22nd February 1890 at Kirklands, Parish of Ecclesmachan.
Her father was Samuel Finlay Hart, (shale miner), and her mother was Elizabeth Johnstone (domestic servant).
Mary's birth was registered on 14th March 1890 by both her mother and father.

I have attached a print-out of the birth certificate for you. Let me know if you receive this!

Offline Alibeegood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 December 14 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ericalauren

I've just picked up your email tonight (12/13th Dec).
I don't think Elizabeth and Samuel ever did get married as there is nothing at all under Marriages that comes up for them on ScotlandsPeople, but they are down as Mary's parents when she married Pat Curran on 15th March 1918.
Strangely enough, my aunt was married at one time to a Tommy Hart from South Queensferry and I also know the name Curran well, as there was/is Curran's living in Broxburn I know of.
Small world, maybe?
I find it a bit difficult to find my way round Rootschat and send a reply - You were lucky you received what I sent you!
I don't know if this will succeed but I'll try and attach it but if it doesn't work then I think your Elizabeth Johnstone died on 17/6/1924 at Bangour Village Hospital but it looks as though she had been living up in Shetland?)…Let me know. Glad I've been of help!