Author Topic: Re: Surrey Marriage Index  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Janet Mc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surrey Marriage Index
« on: Saturday 28 June 14 12:07 BST (UK) »
Solve a family mystery

Looking for a John PHILP/S (maybe Philips) marriage to a Catherine TURNER anywhere in Surrey area in church or by marriage license for c 1825.

If anyone can find this they would earn the grateful thanks for many!

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Surrey Marriage Index
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 June 14 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet

I've checked the Surrey Marriage Index (CD) and there was nothing there.  Do you know any further details - where were they baptised?

I'll also try the Sussex Marriage Index.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 June 14 16:29 BST (UK) »

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Janet Mc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 June 14 00:25 BST (UK) »
The related topic is mine. Is there a way to delete stuff.

I now have the "proof" that Catherine Turner was of that surname (two of her children's NZ death certificates state it).

John PHILPS family we now know were not the Haslemere ones but John PHILPS and Jemima WALLBRIDGE of Petersfield, Hampshire. They moved to Surrey - Malden c 1818 and were both buried in St John the Baptist, Old Malden in 1837 (JP senior) and 1847 (Jemima).

JP and CT migrated to New Zealand just before 1841 census. John's sister - Jane Retter - also went at the same time with about 7 other members from the Tollemarches Ham House Estate. I would love to discover in Ham House had employment records.

Unfort. only one of JP/CT's sons was born post 1837 and though we've found the date the registry office has no record of it. I've tried twice. Both JP and CT died in NZ too early for any helpful details to be on their death certificates. I still bought C's and it didn't even have her maiden name. I have no idea who her parents were but by all indications (contrary to everything on internet) she was born c late 1799 or early 1800 (according to gravestone and death cert). There is a Thomas TURNER and Elizabeth ? of Hanworth with a CT born Dec 1799 that I've investigated but have hit a brick wall. Have details of earlier marriage for Thomas but can't find his marriage to Eliz.
It is possible that the George Turner born in c1821 in Hanworth is Catherine's illegitimate son.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 June 14 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet

Topics don't get deleted but I posted a link to the other topic to prevent duplication of effort.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Michael Lawrence

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 01:19 GMT (UK) »
I have information on John Philps and Catherine Turner after they came to NZ. In fact the Philps name is fairly well known in the area in which I live - Manawatu, NZ. I have signed up for RootsChat only within the last hour so I am still feeling my way with how it works. Get back to me if you think I can help. I would appreciate information on their pre-NZ days.
Mike

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Janet Mc should receive an email notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon and reply.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Janet Mc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Turner is still a total mystery. Lots of people make claims but I haven't found any proof. Unfortunately her death was just before they listed parents on the death certificate.

But I found quite a lot about John and even have a letter that they wrote back to his mother. It is published online under the title of '7 servants of Ham' (Ham being a place in Surrey).