Author Topic: One of my Snowballs is missing - Wolsingham  (Read 4833 times)

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
Re: One of my Snowballs is missing - Wolsingham
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 June 14 12:09 BST (UK) »
If you don't already have it this is Hackworth's MI from Wolsingham.
In memory of Ann wife of Thomas Moses died 26 Nov 1821 aged 49 years/Robert Moses died 5 June 1824 aged 86 years. Elizabeth widow of Robert Moses died 21 Sept 1827 aged 80 years. Robert Moses son of the above died Oct 26 1841 aged 67 years. At Wolsingham April 10 1851 aged 59 years Elizabeth, wife of the Rev Robert Lewis. Also Thomas son of Robert and Elizabeth Moses and father of the above Eliz Lewis, departed this life Feb 23 1856 agged 86 years also Ann the beloved wife of Hackworth Snowball of Wolsingham died July 26 1879 aged 63 years. The memory of the just are blessed. Also Hackworth Snowball born Dec 25 1802 died Dec 27 1887

Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 June 14 12:17 BST (UK) »
There's also this one:
Sacred to the memory of Jane wife of John Wooler, Hill End died Dec 22 1829 aged 46 years also Elizabeth daighter of the above and wife of Robert Snowball died Apr 8 1844 aged 22 years. Also the above Robert Snowball who died Feb 2 1859 agrd 45 years. Hackworth Snowb... John Wooler Snowball of West Roddymoor, Crook died Sept 18 1899 aged 58 years. Also Isabella relict of the above John Wooler Snowball died Jan 4 1915 aged 73
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 June 14 12:36 BST (UK) »
Other trees also have Joseph b1796 but I cant find that either, although that would potentially make Hackworth the 5th son not the 4th.

The only Joseph Snowball I can find (so far) baptised in 1796 was in Witton Gilbert   :-\ His father's name is William. No mother's name given.

I found this both on Durham Records Online and freeReg http://www.rootschat.com/links/016xw/

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 June 14 12:55 BST (UK) »
I have been through the BTs for Wolsingham and found a 1794 marriage between William Snowball & Sarah Henderson, plus the baptisms of John (1795), William (1797), Hackworth (1802) and Hannah (1805), but no Thomas.

One very minor point: both Durham Records Online and freereg transcribe Hackworth's Christian name as Hackward. Perhaps worth bearing in mind as an alternative spelling when you are looking for possible links to that name.

A search on Hackworth/Hackward/Hackwood as a surname on DRO shows that it was fairly common  in Weardale.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 June 14 21:29 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you for all the responses!  Where do I start with the replies???

Re William & Cuthbert Snowball, I had come across them previously but haven't found a direct connection so far.  Thank you for the MI's though, very helpful.

Thomas Snowball and Jane Charlton haven't appeared anywhere so far either, but interesting that their daughter was named Hannah as that name runs through every generation of my Snowballs from early 1700's to mid/late 1800's.  Unfortunately 'my' Thomas only had one son who doesn't appear to have married so the Snowball surname ended with him, although it continued as a middle name via his sisters.

Other trees also have Joseph b1796 but I cant find that either, although that would potentially make Hackworth the 5th son not the 4th.

The only Joseph Snowball I can find (so far) baptised in 1796 was in Witton Gilbert   :-\ His father's name is William. No mother's name given.

That was the only one I could find too and I'm pretty sure he's from a different family - I've seen something suggesting his mother was Violetta Chambers but I'll have to do some more work on that.  However, in 1841 Thomas's father (William, aged 85) appears to be living in Wolsingham with a Joseph Snowball aged 20, so working out where he fits in it might help rule the 1796 Joseph in or out.  I've also ordered his death cert to see if anyone interesting turns up as the informant.

One very minor point: both Durham Records Online and freereg transcribe Hackworth's Christian name as Hackward. Perhaps worth bearing in mind as an alternative spelling when you are looking for possible links to that name.

Both variations seem to have been used.  His grandmother was baptised with the surname Hackworth but married as Hackwood, whereas he seems to have started out as Hackwood but spent the rest of his life as Hackworth!   I'm sure they used to do it on purpose just to keep us on our toes  :o

I would echo tbe advise to check tne original prs at the relevsnt loical record office, and if Thomas isnt then found at Wolsingham to also check neighbouring parishes, in case he was christened there (depending on dads occupation may have moved briefly, ie ag lab, or briefly worshipped elsewhere for a while, maybe didnt like vicar, or rellies living in neighbouring parish and had a joint christening, all sorts of possible reasons).
Also, what occupation did William have? Did he leave a Will?

Original / neighbouring PRs look like the only answer.  His father was a described as a farmer on the baptisms - initially at Crowsfield / Crawsfield and later at Frierside.  I haven't been able to trace a will unfortunately.

All the help & suggestions so far very gratefully received, so if anyone turns up any more Snowballs, please keep chucking them this way  ;D
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 June 14 21:47 BST (UK) »
Original / neighbouring PRs look like the only answer.

Please see my reply #8  :) - the information on Durham Records Online is taken from the original PR's for Wolsingham and not from the BT's - they show no record of a baptism for Thomas.

It's always possible that, for some reason, Thomas simply wasn't baptised  :(

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 June 14 21:58 BST (UK) »
Sorry Jen, yes I did spot what you said earlier - it just fell out of my head again  ;)
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 June 14 22:10 BST (UK) »

That was the only one I could find too and I'm pretty sure he's from a different family - I've seen something suggesting his mother was Violetta Chambers but I'll have to do some more work on that.  However, in 1841 Thomas's father (William, aged 85) appears to be living in Wolsingham with a Joseph Snowball aged 20, so working out where he fits in it might help rule the 1796 Joseph in or out.  I've also ordered his death cert to see if anyone interesting turns up as the informant.

The 1796 Joseph Snowball found on DRO had parents names William and Violetta - I just did a cross-referenced search of their free index  ;)

There are in all nine Snowball children baptised between 1780 and 1798 whose parents were William and Violetta.

Added - William Snowball married Violetta Chambers 19th May 1779, Witton Gilbert
http://www.rootschat.com/links/016z3/

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 June 14 22:19 BST (UK) »
May be a bit of a longshot if all the others were in the parish records, but have you considered whether your missing Snowballs may have had a non-conformist baptism?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn