Author Topic: Marriage Records: James Fisher  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Chaplain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Marriage Records: James Fisher
« on: Saturday 28 June 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
Good evening.

I am helping a friend to discover his family tree.  Being new to both England and Essex I am struggling to figure out the parish boundaries for the county.  I just move to Essex from Canada a year ago so am still learning where towns are but struggling as our map of England does not show the infinite detail that I would like.

I have just recently discovered Essex Ancesters On-Line which has given me the opportunity to look at many registers on-line.  But I have a problem - as I do not know Essex and the parishes well even when I look at an old Essex map I cannot find the small towns which would give me some clue as to where I might find James Fisher and his several marriages starting around 1839.

I have searched the Essex Ancestors On-Line marriages at Great Totham but cannot find one between James Fisher and Mary Ann Rylance.  I know it is listed in volume 12 of the July-Sept 1840 quarter of the Maldon Registration District but in looking through Great Totham and the various contiguous parishes to Great Totham I am unable to find this marriage.  I would really like to see the whole page rather than just the singular entry provided by the Government offices and see who else might be on it.

I found Mary Ann's death in 1843.  There would appear to be a child, Mary Ann, who died shortly after her mother but the baptismal registers have not been digitized yet for 1843.

According to the 1851 census James married Sarah - their first child was born between 1843 and 1848.  Again I have searched the marriage registers for Great Totham and major parishes but cannot find this one. either.  Nor can I find her death before James marries Amelia (I did find the marriage entry for this couple).

Would anyone be able to provide some hints as to where I might look before I head to the government offices?  I am not a novice in genealogy but I am struggling to get my head around Essex!

Allison

So, could someone advise me as to the various
Brown, Gillespie, McKellar, McDougall, McLachlan, Jeffries, Harbord, Gray,
Renfrewshire, Lanarkshire, Clackmananshire, Ireland, Norfolk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Records: James Fisher
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 June 14 22:43 BST (UK) »
I know it is listed in volume 12 of the July-Sept 1840 quarter of the Maldon Registration District but in looking through Great Totham and the various contiguous parishes to Great Totham I am unable to find this marriage.  I would really like to see the whole page rather than just the singular entry provided by the Government offices and see who else might be on it.

The page is 233 according to the Free Birth, Marriage, Death Index. 
No others on the same page that I can see.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 June 14 22:47 BST (UK) »
According to the 1851 census James married Sarah - their first child was born between 1843 and 1848.  Again I have searched the marriage registers for Great Totham and major parishes but cannot find this one. either.  Nor can I find her death before James marries Amelia (I did find the marriage entry for this couple).

Maybe this one Dec 1843 Saffron Waldon - sorry I don't know Essex areas either.
There are two couples one bride is Sarah Thurgood.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 June 14 01:23 BST (UK) »
Just to avoid any confusion here, the volumes and page numbers found in the civil registration index (e.g. on FreeBMD) are not relevant when looking at the records at Essex Ancestors, which are parish marriage registers and do not use that numbering system.

After 1 July 1837 the content of the parish marriage record on Essex Ancestors should be identical to the civil registration record, except that the parish copy will show original signatures of spouses, witnesses and clergy.

As regards Maldon registration district, this mapping site might help you to get orientated.

http://maps.familysearch.org/

Enter the keyword Maldon.
From the search results, select Civil Registration District - Maldon.
On the map, select List all Parishes in Maldon civil registration district, and a list will appear in the left-hand panel.

You can then use this list to direct your searches through the parish registers on Essex Ancestors.

You may want to bear in mind that if the marriage took place in a register office or in a nonconformist venue not covered by Essex Ancestors, you will not find it online. The only option then is to purchase the civil registration certificate from the GRO, using the volume/page reference found in the civil registration index (e.g. on FreeBMD).

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 August 14 22:07 BST (UK) »
Do you have any more details?
I notice o. The 1871 census that James and Amelia have a step daughter living there which makes me assume that Amelia was previously married? Name of Gooding. She was born in Colchester, so their marriage could have been there?
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.