Author Topic: James M. McMillan, Port Glasgow  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Jesse4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James M. McMillan, Port Glasgow
« on: Sunday 29 June 14 00:28 BST (UK) »
This is my first post and I inadvertently put it on the main (general) page.  Perhaps it would have been better put here.

I'm looking for relations of one James M. McMillan of Port Glasgow, Scotland.  He was born about 1915, lived at 100 Bay Street in the 1930s, and went in the Royal Navy about 1938.  My grandmother, Janet N. McDowall was born in PG in 1889 and moved to the U.S. in 1906.  My mother and uncle were pen pals with James from '35 until '38 and I have a dozen or so letters from him that I would be happy to forward to family members.

Offline John McElroy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James M. McMillan, Port Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 November 16 00:16 GMT (UK) »
My Grand Mother was a McMillan...Her Grandfather was James Neil McMillan born 1848 Glasgow, Lanarkshire Scotland he had immigrated to Australia, registered as a “seaman” (after a dispute with his Father a boat builder, back in Scotland)- may have Immigrated around 1870 ..died aged 79 1926..His Parents were James McMillan & Margaret Biggart.
It is said the dispute was such that he never returned to Scotland when summoned to receive his inheritance . See Link...http:// www.inverclydeshipbuilding.co.uk/home/ inverclyde-shipyards/james-mcmillan-sons

For a period he had a pub & was a grocer in 155-157 Kent St Sydney.
Regards
John McElroy
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James M. McMillan, Port Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 November 16 10:09 GMT (UK) »
John McElroy- Port Glasgow is a separate place than Glasgow- about 20 miles apart.

Jesse4- McMillan is a common name in the area so this James McMillan in 2006 interview might be a different person than the one you are trying to find.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/77/a9012377.shtml
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!