Author Topic: Thomas Rawlings married Sarah Smith 1742  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thomas Rawlings married Sarah Smith 1742
« on: Sunday 29 June 14 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hello

I do not want to be barking up the wrong tree!!

Does anyone know anything about Thomas Rawlings and/or Sarah Smith who married on 4th October 1742 in Huntingdon. They may have lived in Covington either before or after marriage, possibly both.

Best wishes

Pelican

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Rawlings married Sarah Smith 1742
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 June 14 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hunts Marriage Index says that both were of the parish of Covington when they married in Huntingdon. Doesn't necessarily mean they were born in Covington or that they returned there after marriage. Presumably you know more about them than you've stated - children?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Rawlings married Sarah Smith 1742
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 June 14 05:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Bedfordshire Boy, this is what I found and I have nothing else. I have two ends and I am trying to find the middle!!!! Rather casting about in the dark.

There is a strong family legend that we are descended from a Benjamin Smith who was half brother to Isaac Newton. I have found a lot of his family and I have gone back a long way on mine. I believe I may well be within one generation and just need the link if this is correct. My mother told me she has researched it, but I was still young and did not ask for further info. But - which part of the family I do not know!! This is obviously going to be on the female side somewhere. I have no Smiths in that part of the family to my knowledge.

Most of Benjamin's family are Lincolnshire, but there are Hunts connections. Hannah Smith married Carrier Thompson in 1716 in Westminster. The Thompsons lived at Stanground, there are memorials to them in the church.

I have a Margaret Rawlinson. I do not have any further back there. Margaret married Joseph Ormond in 1760 in Melton Mowbray. I have never looked in this direction before and it still seems a very long shot.  I have North and South Witham families and it seemed more likely there.

Joseph himself comes from Hungarton in Leicestershire I think.

Old records are not accurate with names as we all know. Rawlins can be Rawlinson, Rolling etc.

I spent yesterday trying to find every Sarah Smith who married in the right time frame in Lincs, Hunts and Leics. This was the only one with any sort of similar name to any I have.

Rather obviously I need to eliminate this Sarah and Thomas if they do not belong, so I wondered if anyone knew anything about them please.

Best wishes

Mary