Author Topic: Ocky Davies, boxer  (Read 6420 times)

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Ocky Davies, boxer
« on: Sunday 29 June 14 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
     I'm trying to discover some background regarding Ocky Davies, from Haverfordwest, who boxed professionally in the 1920s and 1930s. He claimed on his licence application (Nov 1932) to be 22. I believe his real name was William David and in 1930 he was living at West Hill Farm, Steynton, Milford Haven.
     He was apparently a milkman by trade. Was the name Ocky traditionally given to milkmen - I'm thinking of "Ocky Milkman" in Dylan Thomas's 'Under Milk Wood'  :D - or was it short for something?
     Can anyone help?
        Regards, Gareth

Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ocky Davies, boxer
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 June 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at this website ... ?
http://www.boxinghistory.org.uk/dlist.html
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 June 14 16:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Priscilla, I know a fair bit about the actual boxing. It's his life outside the ring where I need to fill in a few gaps - where and when was he born? where and when did he die? Was William David indeed his real name? And, particularly, why Ocky?  ;D
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 June 14 08:01 BST (UK) »
A shop in Haverfordwest which closed down recently was apparently opened in 1910 by "Ocky" White. His real name was Octavius White.
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 June 14 10:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks, John. Does anyone know if Octavius was a (fairly) common name in Pembrokeshire at one time? Maybe, even if he was really William David, my man might have had it as a middle name or perhaps his father's ...

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 June 14 13:06 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to discover some background regarding Ocky Davies, from Haverfordwest, who boxed professionally in the 1920s and 1930s.
Gareth
Prior to the Great War West Hill Farm was in the hands of Thomas Thorne. Given that there is no reference to the birth of a William David 1908 to 1915 in Pembrokeshire, but a good number listed for up the valleys, (there is a William Owen Davies born Neath 1906) perhaps that is where you should be looking next for his family connections?

You could try following the Voters Lists at Pembs Archives during the 1920’s and 1930’s for the Farm. This would give you the surnames of those on the Farm and perhaps confirm the surname David being on the Farm.

Have you perhaps considered contacting one of the Boxing Clubs in the county to see if they have anyone interested in the history of the subject in the county? I would also try a letter to the ‘Telegraph’ for such modern history/research, see if anyone perhaps remembers his bouts.

Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 June 14 14:45 BST (UK) »
Diolch, Owen.
    Some useful suggestions there which I'll follow up. The absence of William David among the county's births at the time does indeed suggest he might have been born elsewhere. But the first William David I checked out in the 1911 Census turned out to have been wrongly transcribed and the head of household had a slightly eccentric way of writing his final S - on examination of the actual census image it proved to be Davies  :( . The "William David" was given as his real name on his application to the newly formed British Boxing Board of Control for a licence; these forms were often filled in by the fighters' managers and not always guaranteed to be accurate.   

Offline fordysmrs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 January 15 14:12 GMT (UK) »
hi ocky Davies had 2 daughters June and carol, both still alive
June happens to be my mother in law

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 January 15 14:27 GMT (UK) »
That's fantastic news. I wonder if it would be possible to speak to her? Perhaps you would be so kind as to let me have her phone number - but please do it via a Private Message so it's not open to everybody. I note you're a newcomer to Rootschat - I believe you have to have made three posts before you can send a PM, so maybe you could send a couple of token replies to this thread first and then you would qualify  :D

Thanks a lot,
        Gareth