Author Topic: Ocky Davies, boxer  (Read 6427 times)

Offline fordysmrs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ocky Davies, boxer
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 10:09 GMT (UK) »
hi can I ask why are you trying to find out more of ocky what kind of questions you wish answered not being nosey but June is in her late 70s and a very reserved person, and I din want to upset her in any way

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Not nosey at all - I should have explained myself. I was just so excited at finding out Ocky had family I might be able to talk to that I jumped straight in! Sorry about that.
I'm a boxing historian and have published several books under the series title 'Boxers of Wales', covering different areas of the country. The one I'm working on at the moment covers Swansea and the West and Ocky is one of the 50-odd boxers I would like to profile.
I'm pretty much OK on the boxing side, but I know very little about him as a man - I don't mean prying into family secrets or anything, just facts like his date of birth and when he died, what his real name was, why he was called 'Ocky' - that sort of thing. I wouldn't want to upset her either.
   Regards, Gareth
PS. I'm in my seventies myself  :)
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fordysmrs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 13:21 GMT (UK) »
oh ok I will be going over to see her on the weekend and I will show her the messages and then go from there, I'm always on the net trying to find more photos of ocky so I could print for June, talk soon

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 14:19 GMT (UK) »
That reminds me - I only have one picture of Ocky and that shows him being knocked down! I would love to see any photos June may have or that you have discovered. I look forward to hearing from you next week.
    Regards,
     Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk