Author Topic: Rachel Murray b:1872 Kimbriki NSW possibly died 1947 Randwick NSW  (Read 5300 times)

Offline annevicary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rachel Murray b:1872 Kimbriki NSW possibly died 1947 Randwick NSW
« on: Monday 30 June 14 03:12 BST (UK) »
Rachel Murray was a school teacher near Gin Gin in 1903 & 1905 she then became an evangelist missionary and is listed as such in 1919.  Apparently she went to India as missionary, I read this in The History of The Australian Murrays.  I was wondering if it's possible to find out when she went to India and how long she was there and what parts of India she went to.  I did contact the Presbyterian Mission people but they had no record of her.  She never married.
Vicary, Whitlock, Bidmead, Ford, Cockram/n, Bragg, Murray, McIntyre, Martin, Moore, Veitch, Summerville, Paterson,

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Rachel Murray b:1872 Kimbriki NSW possibly died 1947 Randwick NSW
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 June 14 03:26 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/18025816 SMH 13 May 1947 notice

(gives details of her parents and other family members)

ADD
http://stuart.scss.dyndns.info/FamilyTree/individual.php?pid=I28334&ged=Gregory-Hudson.ged

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 June 14 03:36 BST (UK) »
MURRAY, Rachel.— May 12, 1947. at. Sydney, eldest Daughter of Veitch and Ann Murray, late of Dallarnll. Queensland. Buried In Rookwood Baptist Cemetery. At Rest.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/49322452 Courier Mail  20 May 1947

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline annevicary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 June 14 04:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the burial details.  The burial place suggests that she was a Baptist missionary perhaps.
Vicary, Whitlock, Bidmead, Ford, Cockram/n, Bragg, Murray, McIntyre, Martin, Moore, Veitch, Summerville, Paterson,

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 June 14 04:30 BST (UK) »

Rachel MURRAY, aged 75 years, Interred 13 May 1947, Section L, Grave 0001203, Rookwood Independent.
http://www.rookwoodindependent.com.au/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=11 

I understand that there were Missionary Societies formed in each state for each denomination.

Baptist Union  http://www.baptist.org.au/

Cheers,  JM 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 June 14 05:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have had a look at some  electoral rolls ..... in 1919, Rachel's occupation is given "evangelist"  There are others at that polling place with same surname, BUT at two different, although nearby "townships"   

1919 WIDE BAY, polling at Biggenden
MURRAY:
Allen, of Dallarnil, farmer
Rachel, of Dallarnil, evangelist

Ann, of North Dallarnil, home duties
Richard Alfred, of North Dallarnil, farmer
Veitch, of North Dallarnil, farmer

Cheers,  JM 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 June 14 05:10 BST (UK) »
Rachel Murray was a school teacher near Gin Gin in 1903 & 1905 she then became an evangelist missionary and is listed as such in 1919.  Apparently she went to India as missionary, I read this in The History of The Australian Murrays.  I was wondering if it's possible to find out when she went to India and how long she was there and what parts of India she went to.  I did contact the Presbyterian Mission people but they had no record of her.  She never married.

and

Thank you for the burial details.  The burial place suggests that she was a Baptist missionary perhaps.

I am fairly sure that the Baptist section of Rookwood Cemetery is not just for missionaries.  May I ask about the Allen MURRAY at Dallarnil, the farmer ?

Do you have a copy of her NSW BDM death cert?  The Official Transcription has the same information, and is cheaper and delivered as email attachment.    One of the many headings on the NSW death cert is to do with occupation, and another is time in the colonies/states.  Although it does depend on the informant's own knowledge, these responses can be quite detailed. 

Official transcription agents :   http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/bdm_fh.html#transcription

NSW BDM reference no. 11107/1947  and the informant knew the given names for her parents as Veitch and Ann, so it seems the informant's information may well have been detailed.

Cheers,  JM

Offline annevicary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 June 14 06:06 BST (UK) »
Rachel Murray's parents were Veitch Murray and Ann Murray nee Moore her siblings were Jane, Albert John (my grandfather), Dorothy, Alice, Rebecca, William , Richard, Flora and Frank.  At the moment I don't know who Allen Murray is.  I will probably find out as I keep researching.  Thank you for your suggestion to acquire Rachel's death certificate, it may give me the answers I'm looking for.

Offline Alexandrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 November 15 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Ann , I suppose that you know that your Murrays were from the Scottish Borders.
Near Jedburgh and Bedrule etc Hawick ..?

We are looking for a male Murray from your line to help us with our research regarding James A.H. Murray of Dictionary fame. He was a relative on your line. James was always seeking his roots and now we have the ability to determine via simple DNA testing , the exact line your Murrays came from. We have many many Murray men from the Scottish Borders in our project so if you know of any male Murrays from the Taree line or their relatives who might be interested please contact me on here.

Alexandrina Murray
Murray Clan DNA Research Project
MURRAY NOBLE MOFFAT MACDOUGALL  LEES MCINNES  RINTOUL KENNEDY ANDERSON HALL KELSO REID BOWES STEWART LINTON GAFF LOWRIE  ELLIOTT  GRANT TURNBULL BURNETT STENHOUSE MONTGOMERY SWORD CARROLL DALGLEISH  Mostly of the Scottish Borders Selkirk & Melrose Temple Balantrodoch & Skye