Author Topic: Rachel Murray b:1872 Kimbriki NSW possibly died 1947 Randwick NSW  (Read 5301 times)

Offline annevicary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rachel Murray b:1872 Kimbriki NSW possibly died 1947 Randwick NSW
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 November 15 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alexandrina

Yes I do know that my Murrays were from the Scottish Borders.  I have gone back as far as Andrew Murray born 1640 to Bathia or Bethia Forbes.  He married Janet Andison about 1669. His son John was born 1 May 1670 in Bedrule he married Isobel Turnbull on the 15 Aug 1701.  There were 3 more John Murrays before we get to Veitch Murray born 1841.

I am actually trying to find out if Bathia or Bethia Forbes is the daughter of John Forbes born about 1568 in Corse Aberdeenshire, died 28 Mar 1635 in Delf, Netherlands, he married Christian Barclay in 1595.  I don't suppose you have any info on this?

I do have some male Murray cousins who I am in contact with.  In fact we are having a gathering of cousins in December I will ask them if they are interested in your project.

Regards
Anne Vicary
Vicary, Whitlock, Bidmead, Ford, Cockram/n, Bragg, Murray, McIntyre, Martin, Moore, Veitch, Summerville, Paterson,

Offline Alexandrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 November 15 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Anne,

I received your PM.

Are you sure that Andrew Murray & Bethia are the parents
of John?

We shall certainly know much more once we have a participant
in our DNA Research Project from your line. How exciting.

Please PM me your email address and I shall CC you on everything
I send out.

Thank you again.

Alexandrina Murray
Murray Clan DNA Research Project.
MURRAY NOBLE MOFFAT MACDOUGALL  LEES MCINNES  RINTOUL KENNEDY ANDERSON HALL KELSO REID BOWES STEWART LINTON GAFF LOWRIE  ELLIOTT  GRANT TURNBULL BURNETT STENHOUSE MONTGOMERY SWORD CARROLL DALGLEISH  Mostly of the Scottish Borders Selkirk & Melrose Temple Balantrodoch & Skye

Offline annevicary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 November 15 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Murray born 1640 in Hawick and Janet Andison born 1650 in Whythill are parents of John Murray born 1 May 1670 in Bedrule.  I think Bethia Forbes born 1615 in Aberdeen is Andrew Murrays mother but I am trying to find out it that is correct and whether John Forbes born about 1568 in Corse is her father.
Vicary, Whitlock, Bidmead, Ford, Cockram/n, Bragg, Murray, McIntyre, Martin, Moore, Veitch, Summerville, Paterson,

Offline Alexandrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Murray of Bedrule & Hawick to Australia
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 July 17 05:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Anne,

I am wondering how it is that you know about the Forbes connection?
Was there some evidence in the archives?
I suppose that you are remembering the old stories published regarding
an Andrew Murray coming to the Borders from Aberdeen area - or Braemar in 1600's
who was thought to be the progenitor of this line. However the YDNA analysis
clearly shows that your Murrays are descended from the Murrays of Falahill, via
Archibald de Moravia. The Murrays of Cockpool and Annandale are also related
back in the early 1200's when the lines split. These are Border families who have been
resident there since the mid 1200's. It could be argued that some branches stayed up
in Morayshire though and did not come to the Borders until later, however seems doubtful.

When more Murray men from this line test via Y-DNA testing we should have a clearer
idea of the Hawick -Bedrule Murray line lineage by tracing their unique mutations through
time.

Regards,
Alexandrina Murray
MURRAY NOBLE MOFFAT MACDOUGALL  LEES MCINNES  RINTOUL KENNEDY ANDERSON HALL KELSO REID BOWES STEWART LINTON GAFF LOWRIE  ELLIOTT  GRANT TURNBULL BURNETT STENHOUSE MONTGOMERY SWORD CARROLL DALGLEISH  Mostly of the Scottish Borders Selkirk & Melrose Temple Balantrodoch & Skye

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 July 17 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I notice that Anne has not been online at RChat since Nov 2015.  Hopefully she will still be using same email and receive notification of a new reply on this thread. 

Fingers crossed.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline annevicary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 July 17 00:30 BST (UK) »
Last year I went to the UK and while I was there I visited Hawick and went into the Live Borders Libraries & Archives to check if there was and records of a connection between my Murray family to the Forbes family, they could not find one, so I have deleted the Forbes off my ancestry line.  I originally put them on through another person on ancestry.  At the time it looked ok but I always had questions, so I am glad that I checked it out while in Scotland.

Offline Alexandrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 July 17 05:49 BST (UK) »
Anne,

What month last year were you at Hawick?
I was there too, for a week solid researching the Murrays at Hawick Hub everyday from opening
until closing. I took hundreds of photos. Stayed in a B&B in Drumlanrig Pl in MAY -June.

Alexandrina

Offline annevicary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 July 17 23:55 BST (UK) »
I was in Hawick beginning of June last year we were staying in Westlinton near Carlisle.  Spent 2-3 days driving around looking at various place where our ancestors had lived.

Offline Alexandrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Murrays of Bedrule & Hawick
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 15 July 17 10:01 BST (UK) »
Then it looks like we were possibly there at the same time because I was there firstly in May then again in June.
James Russell took me to Bedrule Kirk and to the grave site of your Murray ancestors there. The stone was laying flat on the ground and un-readable. I took some photos , so can send.

Alexandrina