Author Topic: Bartholomew (Batt) Conelly  (Read 7958 times)

Offline grantholland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bartholomew (Batt) Conelly
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 27 April 17 13:50 BST (UK) »
Dear Paul "rusted" & others;
I couldn't get personal message to work? Anyway;
My grandfather was Sir George Holland, Anzac first landing AIF soldier, state president RSL 1929-1950, National president 1950-60. My late dad and I marched in the Anzac march every year, and he was given a WW1 service medal with the name ET Connelly, #1739. When my dad passed away I was given this medal and was told his family/relatives could not be located so I needed to look after it and march with it at the annual ANZAC day march, melbourne. So I march with it every ANZAC day to the shrine. I have done lots of research trying to get this medal back to family but have had no luck. My research information is;
Edmund Thomas Connelly/Conelly 4th battalion AIF Killed in Action 6-9/8/15, joined 12/1/15, age 21, labourer. Roman Catholic. Place of birth Brunswick.
Embarked Sydney 17/3/15, ship Shropshire A9, lived at 25 King St Melbourne. I have gone to this building many times but cannot source what its history was at that time; hotel? Boarding house? Next of kin Rita Connelly.
An old address is listed as 15 Rae plce Darlinghurst, Sydney.
A corporal “Gunner” of D company 4th battalion AIF stated Connelly was taken prisoner and never seen again. My grandfather’s nickname was “gunner” Holland??!
Edmund had another middle name; Valentine. Born 1894. Dad – Bartholomew, mum – Rose (Walsh)
I would like to get this medal back to “home”. If you or someone you know close to Edmund’s family wants the medal, I would gladly give it to you/them. I feel he would like to be home.
Grant

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 27 April 17 22:24 BST (UK) »
What a lovely thought Grant  :)

Ros

Sorry everyone - I didn't read the earlier thread and just reposted more of the same. :(
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 28 April 17 01:15 BST (UK) »
A birth to Kevin and his first wife
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article27936012

Divorce from first wife https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/251636

Ros

adding : there are a couple of entries with those initials in NSW in whitepages
https://www.whitepages.com.au/residential/

I can photograph this divorce too - which should have marriage cert (to confirm his parents) and details of children.
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rusted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 28 April 17 23:13 BST (UK) »
 Grantholland
That is an amazing story and it just goes to show the value of a place like this.

I am not sure that I am exactly the right person to have this medal, I am a first cousin once removed.
There may be closer links to him in the line of family (Meaneys) we traced in this thread. But of coarse they would still be cousins or great nieces/nephews as he had no children.
My mother who is still alive may be the closest relative being a first cousin.
I think I need to contact some other cousins in that line and see what the they say.

I can understand how difficult it was for you to research him, it has been a bit of a battle which is why this thread came about.

Thanks again grantholland, this story really really is just amazingly amazing.

Paul
Scott Richards Collas Williams

Offline grantholland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 29 April 17 04:35 BST (UK) »
Happy to pass medal on to whomever shall cherish it.

Offline jamesmeaney

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 13 May 17 06:35 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I read in awe of the hard work that you put into this forum. Rosball kindly got in touch with me via social media. My name is James P Meaney the eldest son of John R Meaney who is the only son of Kevin and Audrey Meaney. My Grandfather Kevin being the son of Rita and Frank Meaney. Rita remarried (Salter) and lived in San Souci until she passed in December 1978. I have read the thread from end to end and you definitely have the links to my family. I can name all of the USA relatives, Kevins Sister Joan was a war bride and lived up until recently in NY and Florida. Thank you for taking the time to research this information, it provides me with family history that I was previously unaware of.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 13 May 17 06:49 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I read in awe of the hard work that you put into this forum. Rosball kindly got in touch with me via social media. My name is James P Meaney the eldest son of John R Meaney who is the only son of Kevin and Audrey Meaney. My Grandfather Kevin being the son of Rita and Frank Meaney. Rita remarried (Salter) and lived in San Souci until she passed in December 1978. I have read the thread from end to end and you definitely have the links to my family. I can name all of the USA relatives, Kevins Sister Joan was a war bride and lived up until recently in NY and Florida. Thank you for taking the time to research this information, it provides me with family history that I was previously unaware of.

Welcome to RootsChat,  it is the very best of places for help with family history quests.    There's many quest that has been sorted through the combined efforts of RChatters.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 13 May 17 07:52 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat James  ;)

Hopefully rusted will be along soon.  But anyway after you have made one more post you will be able to send a personal message. It can be a brief post  :)

To send a pm just click on the circle under his username with a letter/text in it and it will open a new window to type in a private message.

Ros :)

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 15 May 17 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi James,

Welcome to RootsChat,

Rusted was online yesterday, hopefully he will reply to your post soon.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk