Author Topic: When was Maurice Griffin, Tailor, of Cromane Upper, Killorglin, Co.Kerry, born?  (Read 6713 times)

Offline secondgenIrish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,
I'm trying to find out when Maurice, who was my great grandfather, was born. He and his wife, Kate, nee Hurl(e)y appear in both the 1901 and 1911 censuses, and his age implies a birth around 1850 to 1855, but I can't find a birth in Kerry in that time frame on churchrecords/irishgenealogy.ie that matches.

I have assumed that he was born in Cromane, which falls under the Killorglin RC Parish.

I don't know the names of his parents either.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

secondgenIrish

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I cant seem to find a marriage for them on any of the free indexes so i suggest trying RootsIreland to find the marriage which you need for his fathers name.
I see a marriage on Irish Genealogy for Patrick Moriarty 1900 and Mary Griffin whos mother is down as Catherine Healy probably a mistranscription but seem to be the parents of the children with Maurice in 1911.

Offline secondgenIrish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Daithi,
Thanks for taking the trouble to look for Maurice's birth (and parents....!). I had seen that marriage and that is indeed a case of transcription error, as following on from that marriage, there are three children, two of whom are living with Maurice and Kate in the 1911 census (but no sign of the parents or oldest child in 1911 - another mystery, but probably the result of the flu epidemic of 1908).

According to the 1911 census Maurice and Kate had four children, two of whom survived to 1911. I have found records in Irish Genealogy's Church records for two of them, but not Mary from this marriage record, so I'll just have to keep looking.

Looking further afield A*****.com had records pointing to a civil marriage record for Maurice and Kate (basically, two people with those names appear on the same page in the index!) in 1878, so I'll have to write to the local registration office in Killarney and see what turns up.

Thanks again,
Mike

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I see that marriage now i was searching for Catherine Hurly
Marriage
April June 1878
Killarney
Vol 5 page 161
Maurice Griffin match Kate Hurly
Available on line from G. R. O . Roscommon.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: When was Maurice Griffin, Tailor, of Cromane Upper, Killorglin, Co.Kerry, born?
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 08:03 BST (UK) »
Family Search Births and Baptisms 1620 to 1881
Mary Griffin born 5 Dec 1879 ,Cromane,Kerry ,to Maurice Griffin and Kate Hurly

Due to the late December birth she would not have been registered till 1880
Civil reference to same birth
Mary Griffin
Jan March 1880
Killarney
Vol 5 page 346.

Offline secondgenIrish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: When was Maurice Griffin, Tailor, of Cromane Upper, Killorglin, Co.Kerry, born?
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 14:57 BST (UK) »
Daithi,
Thanks very much for the birth information for Mary Griffin. I shall be able to include that when I get on the GRO website. It's sad to think that she did not make it to 30 years of age.

What's weird is that there is no reference to her baptism in the Killorglin registers on Irish Genealogy. Come to that, there are no references to Killorglin baptisms at all in the last quarter of 1879.

Hang on, light bulb moment - the present church of St. James in Killorglin dates from 1885 (I think), so is it possible that the congregation was travelling to other parishes for weddings baptisms and funerals whilst the building work was under way?

Anyway, thanks again,
Mike

P.S. The GRO website did not accept dates before 1920 for a marriage cert., so I gave them the office, dates and volume and page in the section where the church / R.O. details are required. I'll let you know what happens.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 20:44 BST (UK) »
See search box at top of page here enter ''Ordering Certs''

Offline secondgenIrish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I received Maurice and Kate's marriage certificate yesterday, and he was 23 when they married in 1878, so that implies a birth in 1854 or 55, which ties in with the ages recorded on the 1901 and 1911 censuses, and I have his father's name (Denis) and profession (weaver), which will help to narrow things a bit more.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Looks like he was fond of the gargle ,the prison registers give his birth as circa 1854 drunk and disorderly and being found on licenced premises.