Author Topic: When was Maurice Griffin, Tailor, of Cromane Upper, Killorglin, Co.Kerry, born?  (Read 6709 times)

Offline secondgenIrish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Yes, I had seen those, and noted that someone else had identified him with his wife through the AKA fields. That may explain why the 1901 census shows the house as Class 3 when most of the neighbours' were Class 2.

Apparently, being a tailor then meant attending the fair days to deliver garments made, and to attract new custom. That probably meant having a drink with those clients who were flush with cash from selling cattle or horses, and then buying a round or several for them...and one thing led to another....

I found an article in the "Kerryman" in 1912 where he had been assaulted by a woman who had hit him with a pike, and she was fined 12s 6d plus costs, and he was fined 2s 6d plus costs.

The effects on the family lingered, his son (my grandfather) was also a tailor, but he made sure that when he got paid, the bills were paid and the groceries bought before he went for a drink with the clientele, and my father and his brothers were Pioneers, or generally abstemious.

Mind you, there is still no sign of Maurice's birth in the online Church records. Looks like I'll have to write to the parish.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
A Denis Griffin of Cromane married Catherine Rahilly  19 Jan 1845 in Killorglin.
Just keep for reference may be his parents.
No children for this couple showing up.

Offline secondgenIrish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jeremiah (1846), Timothy (1848), Denis (1860), but no Maurice in 54/55!

Offline secondgenIrish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Also, a Denis Griffin was born to Denis Griffin and Honora Shea on 10 January 1836. An outside bet to be Maurice's father.

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
Re: When was Maurice Griffin, Tailor, of Cromane Upper, Killorglin, Co.Kerry, born?
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 12:36 BST (UK) »
This is a pretty comprehensive collection of one Griffin family (from which I am descended) primarily focused around Glenbeigh, Co Kerry. While I have looked up your names and found no clear matches, it might help you discount people you find in the future.

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SHOW&db=wdromanski&recno=15706
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: When was Maurice Griffin, Tailor, of Cromane Upper, Killorglin, Co.Kerry, born?
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 13:50 BST (UK) »
Have you actually viewed any of the prison regs for Maurice.
My great grandfather was in Wexford prison 1900/1901 lived at Donard but his prison file revealed that he was born in Ballywilliam nr New Ross.
You never know what details you will find till you view them.

Offline secondgenIrish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
Nettie and Daithi,
Thank you very much for your suggestions, which I will follow up. Daithi, you've reminded me of a conversation I had with a very old lady forty years or so ago, who knew my father's family. She said that Kate was married to a "foreigner".

I never found out if she meant that Maurice came from abroad, just the other side of town, or worse, maybe Cork!

Offline secondgenIrish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 16:43 BST (UK) »
I think that I will have to park this issue for now, but before I do, I note that the irishgenealogy.ie website states that the Killorglin parish, which includes Cromane Upper, says that it has birth records from 1798 to 1911.

But there is definitely a gap in the 1850s, which may simply be because no records were kept. Some births for Killorglin people can be found in both Killarney and Glenbeigh, which suggests that perhaps the physical state of the church was low. Also, we should not forget that the 1840s were the Hungry Forties, and the morale of the entire country would have been at a low ebb, and keeping records low on the list of priorities for both Church and people. The lassitude lasted a generation.

The parish priest from 1884 to 1916, Fr. Thomas Lawlor, was a very energetic man, and it seems that he may have been sent to Killorglin to prevent the parish going under completely. The man built six National (primary / elementary) schools in the parish within three years of taking over, and went on to tour the USA seeking funds for a new church in Killorglin, which was completed (if not wholly paid for) in the late 1880s.

He also rebuilt the Church at Cromane in 1912/13 before his death in 1916. he is buried under the altar in the Lady Chapel in St. James Church, Killorglin.

Offline secondgenIrish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 February 16 22:59 GMT (UK) »
A couple of updates:
1. Denis Griffin, married to Katherine Rahilly was a weaver.

2. Fr. Lawlor's predecessor as Parish Priest in Killorglin, died in January 1884. Strangely, there is a run of marriage records that start almost exactly after the old priest died, following a gap from the 1850s. So was the old priest simply not recording baptisms, marriages or deaths? Or did the parish records form part of his personal property, to be retained by his family?