Author Topic: Can anyone identify this military uniform from WW1?  (Read 2044 times)

Offline summertimesumms

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone identify this military uniform from WW1?
« on: Tuesday 01 July 14 06:37 BST (UK) »
Can anyone identify this military uniform? Canadian maybe? There are 3 chevrons on his upper arm.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone identify this military uniform from WW1?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 07:15 BST (UK) »
Hiya and welcome to Rootschat ....is there any way you can magnify the cap ??...we may be able to tell from the cap badge ...the 3 chevrons are Sergeants stripes ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline summertimesumms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 18:01 BST (UK) »
These are the 2 other photos I have. the full body one is dated on the back 1923.

He is my g-grandfather. Birth name: Ransom Tyree Nichols. He disappeared for 25 years, from 1910 (in Colorado) to 1935. When he re-appeared in 1935 he was living in California and married to (Frances Marie Kleiner) with a child. They met in New Mexico (where she lived). He was a gold miner. He had changed his name to Roy Doone. But his tombstone says Robert Doone.

I cannot find any military records for him and these photos are our only clue as to where he may have been during those years. He said he lived in England for a few years and was a "Bobbie" (policeman or constable?)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 18:14 BST (UK) »
I would have thought there may be Military Records for Ransom Tyree Nichols during WW1 ...July 1914 to Nov 1918...I am not sure when the American and Canadian forces were introduced ...maybe someone can advise ?
was he born in America ?? or Canada ?...and do you know what year was he born  ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline summertimesumms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 18:17 BST (UK) »
He was born in Glenwood Springs, Colorado on May15, 1892. I have found military records for several of his brothers, but nothing for him. I have checked all the names: Ransom Tyree Nichols, Roy Doone and Robert Doone.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 18:20 BST (UK) »
is this yours ???   I googled his name to see if he was mentioned as a Policeman in England
could this be his grandfather ?
Descendants of Ransom Nichols - Family Tree Maker's Genealogy ...
familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/r/o/e/Rita-D-Roe-HI/...   Cached
Descendants of Ransom Nichols Generation No. 2 2. ALFRED 2 NICHOLS (RANSOM 1) was born Abt. 1821 in Lawerence County, Alabama, and died Bet. 1857 - 1866 in Polk ..

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 18:24 BST (UK) »
http://genforum.genealogy.com/nichols/messages/3690.html
have a look through this and see if anything catches your eye ?

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 19:07 BST (UK) »
I suspect its Canadian ...he has no medal ribbons so possibly didn't serve overseas in WW1...medals had been issued by 1923
CEF attestation forms  are searchable I couldn't see one that fits though there was a R Nichols listed but no further info.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline summertimesumms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 00:12 BST (UK) »
Yes garstonite,

Descendants of Ransom Nichols - Family Tree Maker's Genealogy ...
familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/r/o/e/Rita-D-Roe-HI/   

is the correct family. His father was Abner Jefferson Nichols and grandfather was Ransom Alfred Nichols.

He claims to have changed his name to Doone to enlist in Canada, but I can't find any records. He could have claimed to be Canadian.