Author Topic: Photo Album Acquired  (Read 11768 times)

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hannah Louise Robins 1877-1946
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Album Acquired
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 18:51 BST (UK) »
Photo 15

W H Geddes & Son, 14 Applegate, Arbroath

Photo 16

Unable to see

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Perry:- Middlesex, Hertford, Essex.  Britton:- Middlesex, London, Gloucester.  Murray:- Lancashire.  Lee:- Liverpool.  Bennison:- Cumberland, Yorkshire? Robins:- Liverpool, London, Devon.  Procter:- Liverpool. Westhead :- Liverpool. Norman :- Essex, Suffolk. Kitchener:- Bedford, Middlesex. Marriage:- Middlesex. Chopping:- Hertford.

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 19:39 BST (UK) »
Do you have a note of the address of the property that the album was originally found in?  That MIGHT perhaps help to link it to descendants of original owners.  Not an easy task, though. 
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 20:36 BST (UK) »
They are really lovely photographs. Would a local newspaper be interested in doing a small article about them? Would make them available to more viewers. 
Wills Isle of Wight
Webb Hampshire & South Berkshire
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hannah Louise Robins 1877-1946
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 July 14 08:18 BST (UK) »
Sadly my godfather has vascular dementia so is unable to remember where he got it from, someone said to me that it might not have been 'found' that it could be his deceased wifes family. I have contacted her sister and am waiting to hear back.
All I can say is I wish this album was of my family.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Perry:- Middlesex, Hertford, Essex.  Britton:- Middlesex, London, Gloucester.  Murray:- Lancashire.  Lee:- Liverpool.  Bennison:- Cumberland, Yorkshire? Robins:- Liverpool, London, Devon.  Procter:- Liverpool. Westhead :- Liverpool. Norman :- Essex, Suffolk. Kitchener:- Bedford, Middlesex. Marriage:- Middlesex. Chopping:- Hertford.

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 July 14 15:47 BST (UK) »
The two gentlemen in your picture 15 appear to be wearing some sort of uniform; and the fact that they have been photographed together might suggest they have a family link -- father and son, perhaps?  If I was to take a wild guess, I would say they might be railway clerks -- but that is just a wild guess.  If anyone on here could positively identify what uniform it was, that might prove helpful to someone trying to confirm whether the album was theirs or not i.e. If such a person happened to know that they had two deceased closely-linked relatives who followed this profession.

Also, it is definitely helpful that you have given us the geographical area where photos were taken, since this suggests where people may have been living at the time, and who might then have been immediately related to whom.  Might help someone to feel more confident about whether the album is theirs or not -- assuming they happen already to know quite a bit about their family history; although can also throw in a few curve balls.

I myself inherited two beautiful Victorian photo albums through uncertain line of descent through the family, and have spent many hundreds of hours puzzling over the sitters, trying to work out who they were/might have been.   The photos for dating and restoration forum on rootschat has seen a lot of business from me through the years, as getting firm-ish dates for photos once you begin to get a feel for who sitter might be is very helpful.

I certainly agree the suggestion that you contact a local newspaper to try to get a wider circulation in your geographical area for the photos, should they prove not to relate to your family.

Best of luck with this journey!

CELTIC ANNIE
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 July 14 16:00 BST (UK) »
Wonder if photos 9, 10 and 11 are all siblings, and all the children of the older gentleman in photo 12?!   :o

But this is just speculation.