Author Topic: Looking for Douglas Allison born Scotland 1931 emigrated 1955 to New Brunswick  (Read 6714 times)

Offline Arrangirl81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone could help me find any info on my mothers cousin who emigrated to Canada in 1955. Hope this is in the right place!

These are the only details I have for him:

Douglas M (possibly McKirdy) Allison born 3rd July 1931, Whiting bay, Isle of Arran, Scotland.
Found on passenger list of the Corinaldo (Donaldson Line) 1st April 1955, departure port Glasgow, Scotland, destination port St John, New Brunswick, Canada.

Not sure if any connection but there is a Daniel McKirdy also named on the passenger list who may have been a cousin.
Isle of Arran/Ayrshire - Reid, Dick, McConnell, Purden/Purdie, Allison, McKirdy/McCurdie, Tennant, Hamilton, Bowles
Renfreshire -Port Glasgow - Purdie/Purden, McKirdy/McCurdie/McReady
Eastwood Parish/Pollokshaws area, Glasgow - Campbell, Dick, McLachlan/McLauchlan/McLoughlin/McLaughlan, Edgar, McFarlane, Norris, Gray,
Linlithgow/New Kilpatrick/Milngavie - Dick, Edgar
Edinburgh/Leith/Milngavie/Stirling - John Reid
Belfast/County Derry/Magherafelt - Murray, McCormick, McCormack

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Douglas Allison born Scotland 1931 emigrated 1955 to New Brunswick
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Irene81,

Could be quite difficult for you to get information because of the privacy laws in Canada. There is no BMD index for the time frame you might be searching. We would really need to know which area of Canada he may have gone to. The gentleman could still be living and therefore we shouldn't mention his name here. Noticed on Canada 411 there were 5 Douglas Allison listed but none has a middle initial.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Arrangirl81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Douglas Allison born Scotland 1931 emigrated 1955 to New Brunswick
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 20:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandra, I wasn't sure whether he would still be alive or not. We believe he kept in touch with some of the family but stopped some years later which led them to believe he had died. If still alive now he would be 83.
Should I edit or delete the post?
Isle of Arran/Ayrshire - Reid, Dick, McConnell, Purden/Purdie, Allison, McKirdy/McCurdie, Tennant, Hamilton, Bowles
Eastwood Parish/Pollokshaws area, Glasgow - Campbell, Dick, McLachlan/McLauchlan/McLoughlin/McLaughlan, Edgar, McFarlane, Norris, Gray,

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 20:59 BST (UK) »
Which area of Canada ? Do you know if he married - wife's name could be handy ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Arrangirl81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 21:02 BST (UK) »
Which area of Canada ? Do you know if he married - wife's name could be handy ?

Sandra

Not sure of the area he went to, we thought Ontario area maybe? Unfortunately the older relatives have passed on now so there's not really anyone left to ask. Don't have any other details other than the above DOB and passenger list. I did look on the Canada archives website and searched using his name but came up with nothing although I plan to go through the naturalization lists at some point, but it'll take a while.

Offline Arrangirl81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 19:13 BST (UK) »
I got some new information on my relativ today, although we are now pretty certain that he died. Do not know his wife's surname but her first name (or possible nickname) was Honey and I have their 3 children's names. This info came from my mum's cousin so it is definite.
They lived in Amherst, Nova Scotia and probably St Johns, New Brunswick before that.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 July 14 07:47 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking for the names in http://www.whitepages.com/white-pages/amherst-ns ?

The local library have an Ask The Librarian Section perhaps they could help you -

http://crl.library.ns.ca/

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Hi,

Not sure this will help you in relation to Douglas Allison but on the passenger list Daniel McKirdy's date of birth was 3 June 1933.
There is a death record for Daniel McKirdy in California born 3 June 1933 and died 20 November 1989.
The California Death Index tells us his mothers maiden name was Campbell. Daniel died in Los Angeles. California.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Daniel Chapman McLeod McKirdy - 6 June 1933 - Naturalized by US District Court Los Angeles.
Date of Admission 17 feb 1967. Petition 284301 Alien Redg.  ALL 954 216

Sandra