Author Topic: 1841, 1851 census lookup  (Read 12034 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841, 1851 census lookup
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 20:09 BST (UK) »
Just found a marriage for James Penrose to Eliza Walters 26 November 1831 at St Martins Warwickshire Birmingham ???

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 July 14 04:18 BST (UK) »
You guys are amazing!

Pretty sure Thomas (b 1840) came to Australia on the Wansfell in 1863, and met his wife Ann Reid on the same boat, although she's not listed until the 1865 trip, but they were definitely married 28 May 1864 - there's some crossing out and confusion on the top of the page of the register, so I think the 2 trips passenger lists may have been a bit mixed up? He went on to be a successful building contractor and elected to Brisbane City Council, but died just a few months later aged 38 in 1878. It's his son Thomas Mortimer Walters who's on the electoral role.

Just found that George Mcmaster married Jane Simpson in 1821 in West Derby, fits with the witnesses for Horatio's marriage. (Love finding out more than just the names, so interested in the stories! Thanks for the info about Horatio.)

Still wondering what's happened to Jane Walters nee Mcmaster? I have a suspicion she may have come to Australia too, there is a reference in newspaper to Thomas' "distressed wife and mother" when he seems to go awol for a bit in 1867, but it's a bit ambiguous.

Would most like to know where Thomas Walters snr and Jane Mcmaster were born so that I can continue the search.

Thanks for all your help!

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 03 July 14 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Maddy  just found you a marriage 2/8/1860 St Brides Liverpool Jane Walters  ( listed as Walker ) widow hard to make out the address but think its Harrow on the hill London ...married George Hugh Fishley ( mariner )  her father Andrew McMasters ( deceased ) witness George McMaster her brother the other witness hard to make out Anne Demptser ?
What makes you think his mother went to Australia ?? and wonder how the children were not with her in the census forms ? :)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 03 July 14 07:48 BST (UK) »
Re Horatio there are a huge number of articles about the case of Horatio in the British Newspaper Archive. The case is also recorded on Old Bailey Online which you can view for free. "Recommended to mercy by the jury, considering the very difficult position he found himself, with so utterly inefficient a crew and many of his acts of violence being committed under provocation - Fifteen years penal servitude"

It also says that another indictment was not proceeded with.

There are also articles from 1881 in the newspaper archive re petitions for his release.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 03 July 14 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Maddy think the marriage for George McMasters to Jane Simpson was 25/7/1846 Walton on the hill Lancaster ....There is a tree with this information also photo of his grave stone they have his father Andrew McMaster born about 1770 died 9th November 1840 at Confeacle Parish Co Armagh mother Mary death 23 May 1818 same place ..They had son John McMasters born 1808 Confeacle Parish he died Liverpool ..Jane McMasters 1810 , George McMaster 1813 ,William McMasters born 1818 ...quite a gap between births so I would think there would be more all these family died in Liverpool....  maybe give you something to go on but should check out first as trees are not always accurate

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 July 14 12:03 BST (UK) »
Queensland Government Gazettes
George Hugh Fishley late of Bald Hills near Brisbane ( gentleman ) died 13th May 1900 Jane Fishley widow of deceased ...Will dated 8/2/1900

Don't know if this is her possible Mrs J Fishley port of Departure Brisbane port of arrival Sydney date 24/1/1878 ship Brisbane

Australian electoral rolls 1903 .1905 Jane Fishley Bald Hills ( domestic duties )

Australian Death Index
Jane Fishley died 2/7/1907 Queensland father George McMasters ( wrong name )
Registration year 1907 place Queensland
Registration number b008221 page 8217 :D :D

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 03 July 14 12:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you all again!

I did a double take when I saw George Hugh Fishley's name - just checking through some old notes I realised that he is buried in the same grave as Thomas Mortimer Walters (b1840) in Toowong Cemetery Brisbane, along with Thomas' wife Ann Walters (nee Reid) and Jane Fishley (died 4/7/1907 but age unknown) - couldn't figure out the connection at the time. But the death registration for Jane Fishley does say her father's name was George McMaster, maybe a mistake?

The only hint that I had that Jane may have come to Australia was in an article in "The Argus", Melbourne newspaper 14/11/1867 asking Thomas to contact his "distressed wife and mother".

Thanks too William for the link to the British Newspaper Archive and Old Bailey - will definitely follow up.

Thanks also Rosie for the info about the McMasters tree! Definitely a place to start.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 03 July 14 12:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie, we were posting about the Fishleys at the same time!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 03 July 14 12:35 BST (UK) »
Just checking my old notes again, Thomas died on board the " City of Brisbane" and now I notice that Mrs Fishley was on the ship with Thomas when he died - left Sydney 25/1/1878 and arrived Brisbane 27/1/1878.