Author Topic: 1841, 1851 census lookup  (Read 11998 times)

Offline MeredithW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841, 1851 census lookup
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 28 January 16 11:10 GMT (UK) »
hi Maddy
I visited George Hugh's grave in Rookwood cemetery about 10 years ago; and his houses, in Darlinghurst (around the corner form where i lived for a short time in 1968) and in Cleveland Street, Surry hills (it was renovated a few years ago). I remember told that George was a chef/cook at a city hotel (near Wynyard). George had two sisters: Jane who married Captain Ellery and Ann (probably by grandmother- but presented herself as my mothers aunt- most likely in order to keep her daughter, Merle Mabelle, in her care- as Merle would undoubtedly have been taken from her if she presented as an single, unmarried mother. Ann adopted the name Ianthe at some time and is recorded as Ann Ianthe in electoral rolls.

Thomas Mortimer Walters, his wife Ann, his mother Jane Fishley and stepfather George Fishley, are in a family plot in Toowong cemetery. I visit it every few months. It is adjacent to the plots of the Petrie family - v important in early Brisbane life and its history. Thomas worked for the Petries at some time, and Auntie (as I knew Ann Ianthe Walters) believed he was the clerk of works for All Saints fortitude Valley. Meredith

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 28 January 16 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Yes, George was a chef at 111 Clarence St (next to the Wynyard Hotel) where my grandmother was born. There is an advertisement in the Sydney Morning Herald 15 Sept 1894 for a chef at 111 Clarence St, I guess George either responded to the ad, or maybe placed it. (He was married in 1895 and gives his address as 111 Clarence St.) Family stories also say he worked as a chef at Victoria Barracks, although I haven't found anything to prove that yet.

How interesting about your aunt/grandmother. Until now I hadn't known what happened to George's sister Ann, so it's great to find out where she went.

I haven't been to Brisbane either (since I started researching the family!) but know a fair amount about them. My daughter did a school assignment on family history a while ago and researched Thomas Mortimer, lots of interesting articles on Trove about his time as a building contractor (working on the Petrie Wharf Buildings among other large buildings like the New Zealand Insurance Building) and his time running the Assembly Hotel, and standing for Brisbane City Council.

Since these original posts in 2014 I have done quite a bit more research, George Hugh Fishley and Horatio (Thomas' brother) are particularly interesting characters!

Offline MeredithW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 29 January 16 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Maddy- That's wonderful. Before my mother died in 2011, I had done some family research but the resources readily available are now massive. I ahve compiled basics- birth and death certificates, and visited where people lived and the undeveloped property which family say was unjustly claimed after Thomas death. I need ot find the research folders mislaid in my move from Sydney. I also have some family objects, china, and tablecloths; and photo of unknown people - but one of Horation who was v large.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 29 January 16 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Oooh photographs and memorabilia, I'm envious! We have some photographs of George's wife and family, but none of him. You should try posting the one of unknown people on the Dating Old Photographs board - even if you don't know who they are, the very clever and helpful people on this  site can help narrow the date so that could you could make a bit of a guess.

Sending you a pm too.

Offline Stormraider

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 07:51 BST (UK) »
Is this post still active?
I am tracing back my mothers side and we have some common relatives Thomas Mortimer WALTERS & Ann REID. I have only found two children: John Rawley/Rowley WALTERS 1876-1914 and Andrew Mortimer/McLachlan WALTERS 1877-1952 who is my Great Grandfather any information would be wonderful :)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Stormraider and welcome to rootschat!

I have a fair amount of info about Thomas Mortimer which I'm more than happy to share. My understanding is that Thomas and Ann had 7 children:

Horatio (1865-1865)
George Hugh (1866-1938) - my ancestor
Jane (1867-1913)
Thomas Mortimer (1870-1931)
Ann (1873-1967)
John Rowley (1876-1914)
Andrew (McLachan?) (1877-1852)

I have written up Thomas's "story" as far as I know it, but haven't gotten around to the siblings of George yet. If you make another 2 posts on here I could send you a personal message with more info.

Nice to meet another cousin!  ;D

Offline Stormraider

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Maddy.....So we are related :) Thank you for the information. I was certian their were more children. I am the great grand daughter of Andrew McLachan WALTERS and Mary LIVOCK who spent most of their lives living between Charters Towers and Townsville. I am the granddaughter of James Russell WALTERS who is the third son of Andrew & Mary

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 08:35 BST (UK) »
That's great Stormraider.

I have to log out now, but if you make another post, I'll try to pm you tomorrow.  :)

Offline Stormraider

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 08:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maddy..... I will continue on with my research. Talk soon