Author Topic: Coopers of Dorset  (Read 3948 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coopers of Dorset
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 July 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
It looks like your family on the 1841 census in Bideford Devon. This census was taken on Sunday 6th June 1841. Robert is a baker. His age is given as 35 and Mary as 30, but in this census adult's ages were rounded down to nearest 5 so in reality he could be between 35 and 39 (year of birth 1802 - 1806). Place of birth is not specified on this census only whether born in the county of residence or not. Robert, Mary and the oldest two children were born outside Devon. The younger children were born in Devon. This is consistent with baptism of Elizabeth in Bridport, Jemima in Axminster (record says they were from parish of Allington - but gives father's name as Richard not Robert), Jemima bapt Barnstaple and the other four in Bideford.
So the family left for the US between latter half of 1841 and whenever the 1850 US census was taken. By the time he gets to US and appears on 1850 and 1860 censuses he is using a middle initial (not clear on 1850, but definitely R on 1860). Also R on marriage records of Thomas (Robert R father of the groom). Do you know what R stands for? If Richard it could explain the anomaly on Jemima's baptism record.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline jen70mar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 July 14 13:54 BST (UK) »
Oh my gosh!!!! You have made my day!!! I can't thank you enough for all the information you have provided me with! I really, really appreciate you taking the time to do so. Robert was a baker/confectioner in MA!! I always thought the R initial stood for READ, but you could be right about the Richard part. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 July 14 15:00 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't jump to conclusions about the "Richard" it is quite likely an error by the priest or whoever recorded the baptism in Axminster. As it said that they were from the parish of Allington, it sounds as if they had recently arrived in Axminster and Jemima had been born in Allington but not born there. So if newcomers, the name could easily be misrecorded. The 1841 census tells us Jemima was not born in Devon. Axminster is in Devon now, but up until 1844 part of the parish of Axminster was in Dorset, so it gets complicated.
The possibility that R stood for Read is more likely as it was given as middle name to their first child. If so it would make the Read connection with Robert's family rather than Mary's. It could be his mother's maiden name, that is quite common. 
The baptism records for Allington (BTs) are on line at the DorsetOPC website, but no sign of a Robert Cooper whose year of birth would definitely match yours.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline jen70mar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 July 14 23:18 BST (UK) »
HI,
Thanks again so much. I will have to check out the DorsetOPC website. Again, I really appreciate your help.
Jennifer