Author Topic: R.C. cemetery Linlithgow  (Read 7688 times)

Offline derrylass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
R.C. cemetery Linlithgow
« on: Friday 04 July 14 21:17 BST (UK) »
I have found relatives who died 1911 - 1914 in Philipstoun and am wondering where they would be buried. Are their burial records /cemeteery listings available?

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: R.C. cemetery Linlithgow
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 July 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
If you could post their names I could have a look on the West Lothian Family History Society's CDs for a burial for you.

Eric

Offline derrylass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 July 14 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks - they are Sarah Bonner, 2y, died 21 Mar 1912, Hugh Bonner died 21 June 1912, Nancy Bonner died 25 June 1914; there may be more.

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 July 14 22:06 BST (UK) »
Have had a look at the CDs and cannot find any trace of any of the individuals. There is a possibility they were buried in Abercorn which is not covered by the CDs. Philpstoun would be in Abercorn Parish although I have found a few burials in Ecclesmachan and Uphall. You could try contacting the cemeteries office to see if they can find a burial for you. They can be contacted on 01506 282490 or by a message through the council's website. West Lothian Council's website has just changed and is a nightmare to navigate (looks good). If you put cemeteries in the "I'm looking for" box at the top right corner you should be taken to a results page with "NETs, Land & Countryside Services (Cemeteries Office)" at the top, clicking on this link will take you to a contact page.

Eric

Offline derrylass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 July 14 08:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to look. I am sure they are buried in R.C. Cemetery and I was wondering if there might just be only one in the area.

Offline derrylass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 July 14 08:18 BST (UK) »
I have found relatives who died 1911 - 1914 in Philipstoun and am wondering where they would be buried. Are there burial records /cemetery listings available?

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 July 14 23:48 BST (UK) »
I have Irish family who worked in the Philipstoun Shale Oil Industry too around the same time. There never was a Catholic Church in the village, for worship it would be one of three places, Bathgate, Linlithgow or Broxburn.
Broxburn has Graveyards with parts set aside for RC Burials and is probably the nearest place to look. The only thing I would say is in my experience Shale Workers usually ended up in unmarked graves. Linlithgow has RC burials too from Philipstoun.

James.

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 15:48 BST (UK) »
Been having another search of the CDs and have found the entries

Linlithgow Cemetery

Section G Lair 255 (looks to a common grave 8 unrelated child internments)
Sarah Bonnar aged 1 from Bridgend, interred 23 March 1912

Section H Lair 311
Hugh Bonar aged 32 from Bridgend, a retortman died of pneumonia. interred 24 June 1912

Nancy Bonar aged 72 from Philpstoun, died from heart disease, interred 27 June 1914

Catheriine Bonar aged 72, lived at 358 High Street, Linlithgow, interred 12 August 1947

There are a few other Bonar entries and two Bonner entries (from Bridgend Ann in 1970 and "Child" in 1947).

Not sure how I missed these the first time as I was using wildcards and dates to counteract different spellings.

Eric

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 16:31 BST (UK) »
Good find, I had an idea they would be there, and as I imagined a common grave too like my family.
The place they are buried is very nice and well kept.

James.