Author Topic: Unpleasant Deaths  (Read 43471 times)

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unpleasant Deaths
« Reply #126 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I MAY have posted this link before? If not, there is plenty here to 'amuse' you ghoulish people!  :o

Gloucester Inquests from Gloucester Journal 1722-1838.

http://www.genebug.net/glsinquests.htm

Giggsy
thanks for this , was up till midnight reading it, and still only about quarter of the way through :)

Thanks from me too, I'm gripped!

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 20:06 GMT (UK) »
fallingonabruise, that's fascinating! Wish I could find one for Lancashire areas! thank you.

thanks to giggsycat for the original link :)
but yes it is fascinating reading,  so sad for all those children burnt to death and thrown away babies :(   tho I have spent all day terrified that I will suddenly drop dead from a vistation of god as there seemed to be an awful lot if it about !!
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 23:51 GMT (UK) »
One of my OH's ancestors was crossing the road when a wagonette ran over her foot...the landlord of a nearby public house took her inside and when he removed her boot, blood poured from her ankle. He put her foot into a bucket of water and she bled to death before a doctor could be found.This was in 1905....she was 28 years old and left seven children, the youngest was only seven months old. Four of her sons later died at sea within the space of eighteen months, two of the brothers were on the same ship.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 03:49 GMT (UK) »
One of mine was shot in the neck and pistol whipped to death, then buried in a shallow grave beneath an avocado tree in the back yard by a notorious serial murderess, Louise Peete.  This was Mrs. Peete's last crime and she died in the gas chamber for it in 1947.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Saturday 20 January 18 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Dorothy L Sayers involved peripherally in one:
http://blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk/blog/death-doctor-detective-writer/

By the way, what's a topic called Unpleasant Deaths doing on a board called The Lighter Side??
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline littlesis 76

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Saturday 20 January 18 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Was reading through a newspaper from 1900 last night and came across a article about a shocking death.
Anyway a young family including the mother were travelling across the Atlantic and when the children were naughty the mother threatened them with putting them out of the port hole.
She left the children unattended and when she returned she asked where the baby was to which they replied,baby was naughty so we put her through the port hole.
Apparently the ship looked but to no avail and the passengers were most affected
How awful !!

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Saturday 20 January 18 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Oh how awful, I would imagine everyone was much affected, terrible

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline pogo99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Sunday 29 July 18 17:33 BST (UK) »
My grandfathers nephew, Gibb McAughtrie, and many other relatives of mine, were involved in the Knockshinnoch Mining Disaster in the 1950's. (New Cumnock).  Some of them did not survive, but  Gibb was the first person to be brought to the surface during the rescue mission. Several miners died, including a number of my relatives who were involved in the drawn out rescue procedure.  One of them, Andrew Houston, lead the rescue team.  Another relative got the George medal!  Both my grandparents were born in New Cumnock, so there were a lot of my relatives from both sides whose lives were lost, or they were seriously injured.

I have a video of a film that was made about the rescue "The Brave Don't Cry", sent to me by a relative, I also have a book that was written about the Disaster, "Black Avalanche"!

https://newcumnockhistory.com/2015/09/14/knockshinnoch-the-rescued-men/
My granddad William Bickerton was one of the rescued men,looks like your relative got him out!Again i have many relatives killed in the Ayrshire coalfields,so much that my Grandad and my mum wouldn't let me go down the pit.
  My wife's great aunt died as a young teenager after her nightie caught fire as she lent over the fire to hang up her Christmas stocking :(

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Sunday 29 July 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
My probable great great grandfather was an engineer at a chemical works and had to investigate an accident where one of the workers fell into a vat of caustic chemicals.

Martin