Author Topic: Unpleasant Deaths  (Read 43330 times)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unpleasant Deaths
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 August 14 17:28 BST (UK) »
Part of a lengthy newspaper report of 1844:
JAMES SCOTT, accused of culpable homicide, "in so far as, on the 25th day of July, 1844, Dewar & Co, coach proprietors in Stirling, having started a new coach for the conveyance of goods and passengers between Stirling and Alloa Ferry, by a road on the south side of the river Forth, the said James Scott did wickedly, culpably and recklessly drive the said stage coach at so rapid and furious a pace, that, at or near Poppletrees Pow, the said stage coach was upset, and thereby William Jaffray, farmer, Skeoch, was thrown off, and in consequence of the concussion, was so grievously bruised and otherwise injured that he soon thereafter died."
William Jaffray was my great-great-grandfather. James Scott was found guilty, but without intent to injure, and was sentenced to one month's imprisonment.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 22 May 15 15:08 BST (UK) »
Came back to this topic looking for a different post, but given recent newspaper headlines this one caught my eye as being somewhat ironic. 

The daughter of Thomas Cook, the travel pioneer, died in her bath. Not by drowning and not of natural causes, but of (presumably) carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a faulty boiler. A boiler which, incidently, was fairly new and which the Cook family wouldn't have owned had not Thomas been the successful businessman that he was. :'(
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 22 May 15 15:13 BST (UK) »
Very ironic. I'm surprised none of the newspapers have picked up this coincidence.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 22 May 15 17:36 BST (UK) »
I have a relative who cut her throat with a razor 13 days after giving birth (1905)     

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 22 May 15 19:28 BST (UK) »
Speaking of Ladies fashions

From the Hereford Journal 4 May 1831

A young lady named Harris 22 suddenly dropped dead from apoplexy, occasioned by that foolish fashion amongst females-tight lacing. On the inquest a jury asked that the public record serve as a warning to females on a practice so decidedly injurious to their health

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 22 May 15 20:13 BST (UK) »
I have a relative who cut her throat with a razor 13 days after giving birth (1905)   

Oh that's absolutely awful, how tragic.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 22 May 15 20:47 BST (UK) »
A great-uncle of mine worked in a warehouse which received tea chests from India.  He scratched his hand on the tin edging of one of these chests and developed severe blood poisoning, from which he died, there being no treatment available to save him at that time (1910).

One of my uncles died as a child in a similar way in 1919.  He was stung by a scorpion and developed incurable blood poisoning.

My 2x gt grandfather suffered a similar fate, blood poisoning, after breaking his leg! (1867)

Attended the Centenary Service for the Quintinshill Rail Disaster today, there were some truly horrendous deaths resulting from the crash.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 22 May 15 21:32 BST (UK) »
Both of my maternal g/parents had terrible deaths within a year of each other (prior to my birth).

Aug 1947 my g/father (50 yrs) was hit by a train, his left leg almost completely severed.

May 1948 my g/mother (47 yrs) was cleaning an upstairs window & fell from it.

My mother who was born 1941 was orphaned but was taken in by her father's sister who turned out to be one of the ugly sisters.

My mother sadly died aged 43 yrs of heart disease which was not diagnosed................she was being treated for heartburn  ???

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 22 May 15 22:36 BST (UK) »
Paisley Daily Express dated 8th Sept 1891
"A distressing fatality occured at the works of Messrs J&P Coats Ltd at Ferguslie shortly before 3 oclock yesterday afternoon. Three of the female workers in the mill were hurrying to resume their duties, when one of them, Robina Townsend, stopped about 40 yards from the door at No. 9 Thread store. ....her companions went on and stepped into a hoist worked by hydrolics, to be taken to a higher flat. Townsend arrived when the hoist was in motion...with the result that she was knocked down by the descending guard. Her head was pressed with considerable force between the guard and the floor...and the skull was fearfully crushed and life was extinct....

My poor gg aunt  :'( a nasty way to die!
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk