Author Topic: Unpleasant Deaths  (Read 43485 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unpleasant Deaths
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 30 May 15 15:33 BST (UK) »
Death can be fatal!

Skoosh.
Its life changing
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 07 June 15 11:48 BST (UK) »
Just learned that my grandfather died as a result of a sword wound ... in 1961!!

Well, sort of ...

... he was a fencing instructor, and the tip guard came off a student's foil, which pierced his body protector and nicked his nipple. The wound subsequently became cancerous. He was unaware of this until he applied for an assisted emigration scheme to Australia, and failed the medical because of his cancer.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Genegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 28 June 15 06:47 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was in the war and had to keep escaping bombs.
Her best friend was bombed. I am not sure if she witnessed this. How awful for her and the friend that died. She saw dead bodies and arms and body parts everywhere. It traumatized her. My grandmother was a very hard cold woman which she blamed on what she saw. She wasn't affectionate to me or anyone else.

Also, my grandmother saw her own dog decapitated... I'm not sure if she really did see this. But my mother said my grandmother told her this happened. I have no idea why it happened or who did it.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 28 June 15 12:00 BST (UK) »
My great aunt had an epileptic fit and fell onto the fire. Her father rolled her around in a rug and succeeded in extinguishing the flames but she was dead. She was 14.      I remember a 3yr old boy from childhood who picked up a bottle of milk from the doorstep and fell. The bottle broke and went into his heart.

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 20 July 15 12:45 BST (UK) »
The Lincolnshire Chronicle of the 24th April 1903:
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 19:06 BST (UK) »
The requirement to take care at level crossings is nothing new.

From the Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser, 23 Mar 1861:-

A MAN KILLED ON THE RAILWAY - A fatal accident occurred on Wednesday at a crossing on the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, near Smithy Bridge. The express from Normanton, due in Manchester at 11 10 a.m. passed Littleborough at 10 45 a.m. and when it was reaching the crossing, a man unknown, but apparently a collier, attempted to cross the line. He was caught by the engine of the express, carried about eighty yards, and then run over, his head being completely severed from his body, and the body mutilated. The remains were conveyed to the nearest public-house, to await the inquest.—At the inquest before Mr. Dearden yesterday it appeared that the man's name was John Donbavand, a chimney pot maker. He left home for Rochdale, and when he came to the Smithy Bridge crossing he found a luggage train passing. As soon as that had passed he stepped on the line when the Yorkshire express came up at the rate of 40 miles an hour and caught him, cut off his head and left foot, and then carried his body eighty yards. A verdict of "Accidental death" was returned.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 19:45 BST (UK) »
I have a woman burned to death in a fire when an oil lamp overturned, her husband tried to save her but died of his burns on the day of her funeral.

Another relative was murdered by his friend on a country road at night, he had mistaken him for someone else in the dark.

Then another, a railway worker, was crushed by the buffers of a train. His death resulted in a Board of Trade inquiry into the long hours railway employees had to work

Then there are five suicides.
One hanged himself in the house.

One lay in front of a train after being made bankrupt.

Another, also lay in front of a train, being unable to face life without his wife who had died of cancer.

A fourth drowned himself in a ditch while suffering from depression, he had told a neighbour he wanted to murder himself.

Then a fifth  drowned himself in a water butt, having already been saved by his wife from hanging himself a couple of weeks earlier.

Finally the 7 deaths that are one of the things that sparked my interest in family history.
Seven members of the same family hacked to death by an ex employee.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 20:14 BST (UK) »
Oh my! 

I don't think I'd have wanted to marry into your family back in those days Jebber, sounds like it would be tempting fate  :o
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 20:44 BST (UK) »
Jomot, Fortunately most of them are only distantly related, the closest are the two who died under trains, and I have still to find the connection to the family of seven.

I keep my fingers crossed that I don't end up added to the list myself 😁😁😁😁
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.