Author Topic: Unpleasant Deaths  (Read 43325 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Unpleasant Deaths
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 12:30 BST (UK) »
He certainly did not let the grass grown under his feet then. Some men even got their next wife pregnant before their first wife was dead.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline dancingcar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Monday 10 August 15 18:04 BST (UK) »
A cousin of my mothers was being looked after by her grandparents, sitting on a 3 legged stool on the pavement. A horse drawn dray mounted the pavement and killed her. My mother and her sisters on hearing the news, after school rushed home thinking it was their young sister ,who had the same first name. The poor grannie was distraught, airing the little girls clothes on the fireguard. This happened about 1914, I remember the stool in a relatives house when I was a child. I think I would have chopped it up!

Offline jamie300

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 17:48 GMT (UK) »
My gg-grandfather died on Christmas Day aged 44 leaving a wife and three children. A bit shocked when I got the certificate and saw he jumped in the river as that was the same way his great-grandson went.

The inquest with a jury was all done and dusted on Boxing Day, they certainly didn't mess around back then. Verdict was "suicide during temporary insanity". I thought the insanity bit was a common get-out so they could receive the full Christian honours etc.

However I then found a newspaper report that said the suicide followed an incident with a work colleague who said "I was only having a lark with him" after hearing people in the pub saying the deceased "was a little bit gone in the rocker". So, perhaps he was known to have been mentally ill for some time.

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 19:48 GMT (UK) »
I MAY have posted this link before? If not, there is plenty here to 'amuse' you ghoulish people!  :o

Gloucester Inquests from Gloucester Journal 1722-1838.

http://www.genebug.net/glsinquests.htm

Giggsy

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 20:10 GMT (UK) »
One of my ancestors died of "cancer of the vulva", which makes me cross my legs quite tightly  :o

I've got ones like "a carbuncle of eight weeks duration", "the consequence of the prickle of a finger," "Acute cellulitis of the face and neck, cardiac failure", one who died of multiple injuries after he rode his tricycle (one of those monster things like penny farthing) down a hill and hit a horse and cart.

One that has always upset me was a premature baby dying aged 1 hour. Not so much for baby but for the mother, to go through the labour knowing you are so early and then to hold that tiny little child waiting for it to die. Another child burned to death aged 5.

I also remember a story a rootschatter showed one time of a man letting his kids out to play and then hearing a massive explosion- turned out they'd gone into a field near the house and the army had been in it during the war. He found some of them dead and one that lived long enough to tell him that one boy had kicked a hand grenade before dying in front of him. That was a sad article.

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 20:17 GMT (UK) »
"One of my ancestors died of "cancer of the vulva", which makes me cross my legs quite tightly".

It is something that you don't hear anything about, but a friend of mine has it.

Giggsy

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 20:29 GMT (UK) »
My aunt died in 1960 and cause of death was -  Carcinoma of Vagina - 2 years 9 months, Metastatic Deposits on Bladder Base - 2 years 5 months, Cervix, liver - 3 months, Toxaemia - 1 day.

Absolutely horrible as she was one of the kindest, gentle ladies I have ever known.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 20:47 GMT (UK) »
I have a death from mushroom poisoning and it was long and painful.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
My 3x G grandfather was poisoned with arsenic by his housekeeper, who had previously been his mistress, in 1904. The trial made national headlines :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.