Author Topic: John White Descendants Chart 1996  (Read 11826 times)

Offline SignalHill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John White Descendants Chart 1996
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 October 14 02:26 BST (UK) »
Here is the marriage index record from Presbyterian Archives

NELLEN Mary no age [x-her mark]  WHITE John  full age   Tuesday 10 Oct 1865    Knox Church Dunedin

Knox Church has been holding its own Records.   They may have records besides the original Marriage register

http://knoxchurch.net/index.html

Four Whites were married between 1899 and 1920 at Orepuki
WHITE Isabella     20y   ROBINSON  Thomas Augustus    22y   21 Mar 1902    Orepuki
WHITE Matthew    25y   BENNETT    Lizzie                      22y   9   Feb 1905   Orepuki
WHITE Jessie       20y   MOUAT       James Hay              30y   25 May 1909   Orepuki
WHITE May          20y   JENKS        John                          32y   22 Apr 1911   Orepuki

http://www.presbyterian.org.nz/archives/marriageregisters/orepukimarriages.htm

Who were the other seven children ?

If you have more details of more of your ancestors on this thread it is more likely to be picked up by relatives doing general searches on the web so James Hay MOUAT and John JENKS are more distinctive than WHITE.   You know you have exhausted current Web sources when your general searches only point to your own postings!

Signal
Calvert Dobson Metcalfe;  Otago, Yorkshire
Johns Blewett;   Bendigo, Cornwall
Turnbull Hempseed Matheson;  Otago, Bendigo, Lothian
Butterfield;   NZ, Yorkshire
Brewer Tothill;   NZ, Gloucester London
Klee;   Canterbury, London, Hanover
Cutler;   Fordingbridge Hampshire
Hill ;  Taranaki
Gordon Dunn;   Otaki Wellington
Anderson;   Canterbury Tyrone

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 January 15 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Augustus Robinson  (Service number 23/584) and Isabella White (no children)
https://museum.timaru.govt.nz/explore/scroll/profile?id=2155

Orepuki Parish Baptisms 1899 to 1920
http://www.archives.presbyterian.org.nz/baptism/orepukibaptisms.htm
Bennett
Mouat
White
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 January 15 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone - thats the benefit of posting on rootschat - the query stays around a long time and who knows, someone may see it and be able to give some information!
I have part of the answer - a cousin of mine got in touch and told me that she believed that one of the descendants was also connected by marriage to.... another descendant. The common name is McInnis. She believes it is this family who commissioned the huge piece of work that is the 20 page descendant chart. so all I need to do is find them.... :) there is a tree online which has part of this information, but I am not sure that the researcher has been a party to the major chart. However 2015 is a new year, and I can but try!  cheers
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 January 15 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

I find your post interesting.

May I suggest that you scan / photograph, or copy some how, a page of this tree and send it via the [PM] service to one of the senior people who have posted on your thread. The file, say a jpeg should not be larger than about 300 KB, but that would be enough detail for them to see it's form, and how it displays the information contained therein.

[To reduce the file size only a part page bit, showing layout, or the image put through a down sizeing image processing programme, to create an adjusted, lower resolution copy.]

There would most probably be privacy issues, [and copyright issues] that prevent you going public with the actual table.

All the proprietary tables have their own unique identifiers, and once recognized, that would allow the search to be focused on users, and their holdings in that system.

Just a thought.

May not work, because the only 20 page one I've got after 35 years of research, is my own generated Excel spreadsheet trying to tie in two big main branches starting in Scotland in the late 1790's but missing the all important OPR to confirm the link we know is out there, and the "family tree" with the most names on it [in the thousands] is a hand drawn circle radiating out through nine generations. So the above advise would not count.

- Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 January 15 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks FF - that is certainly an idea. the document is called the 'Descendants Chart for John White' but it is not what I would call a 'chart' - it basically an Ahnentafel system. there is a lot of work in it because John and Mary had 13 children, 11 of whom had many children of their own. Its been done with a basic computer program, basic typewriter font, nothing fancy. But someone must have had to get a lot of paperwork together to do it. I may have to start with a bit of internet searching, starting with the common McInnis family. cheers.
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline etchsouth

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hi FamilySleuth,

I am a descendant of John and Mary > Matthew > Robert (Bob) > Kaylyn > Julie > Me

My grandmother was party to finding information in regards to the White descendants, however she suffered a brain haemorrhage in 1993 so it stopped there. My mother picked it up, but only in terms of writing out what had been available and put into our files.

However I recently made a match with a woman on Facebook looking for these people, it was Mary's name that popped out for me. I haven't questioned her any closer in regards to the connection as I'm currently putting the tree (from the very long descendants chart 1997 version with George McCaw with an address written on the top) into FTM and I've struck a few inconsistencies that I'm trying to clarify or find where they fit in, or don't in some respects.

I have pictures of John and one of Mary, I've noticed that a few other people seem to have more photos of Mary floating around online.

In our information though, Mary travelled out on the Gala on October 29th 1864 It was on a scrap of paper in our box of files.

I hope that was some help.

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 11:05 BST (UK) »
Dear etchsouth
thank you so much for your reply. I'm overjoyed about possible photos of John, and I would love to have a copy. Could you send me one? I can PM my email to you. Recently I was given a family photo of Mary Nellen with her daughter and granddaughter, is this the one you are referring to, or are there other photos? I stopped posting new photos on my own trees after having them wrongly attributed in some cases.

Perhaps I can be some help with any inconsistencies, or provide you with photos I have.

I'm also thrilled about the information re what ship Mary came out on - and it is so frustrating when we find just 'notes' and no provenance - nevertheless, something to check out.  Best wishes, Louise

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 11:39 BST (UK) »
Dear Etchsouth - I have further information (not sure if you have it too).
Mary travelled to Glasgow to sail on the Gala after seeing/knowing about an immigration scheme for females. The Gala appears to have had only female imigrants and the no. of passengers was 75.

best wishes, Louise