Author Topic: Where is Caolasraide or Coalasraide, Argyll?  (Read 13124 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Caolasraide or Coalasraide, Argyll?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 26 April 15 22:41 BST (UK) »
I have located records for Dugald, Archibald, Catherine, Neil and Malcolm Crawford in Kilcalmonnel and Kilberry Parish.
Malcolm Crawford (50), Ann Crawford (50), Neil Crawford (12), Allan Crawford (9) and Malcolm Crawford (1) are all found living at N. Coulghaiter.

Interestingly, I have a Neil Crawford b 1819 Kilcalmonell & Kilberry son of Archibald & Isabella Galbraith who married my relation Mary MacKinnon 21 Nov 1871................a possible relation  ???

Anne Marie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 26 April 15 22:45 BST (UK) »
Caolas is a narrows, as in Ballachulish.

Can also be "Sound"

Anne Marie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Isabell Crampton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 04 September 16 22:25 BST (UK) »
Iancraw
I obtained the information from the article that you quoted.  I think that we are related.  My Crawford/Fletcher relatives lived near Poplar Hill.  Archibald Fletcher and Margaret Crawford were my great-great grandparents but they lived in Lobo and Caradoc townships.  Their son Malcolm lived near Poplar Hill, as did I.

Offline Isabell Crampton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 04 September 16 22:38 BST (UK) »
I think that a lot of us are related.  If you are interested in sharing more information please contact me. I haven't seen a way to receive email notification of postings, which is why I haven't been on this chat group for a long time.  Thanks for all the information.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 04 September 16 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Isabell,

It is against RC rules to type email addresses unless by Private Message & it will be deleted by a Moderator if not removed which can be done by using the "Modify" button.

Annie

Offline Isabell Crampton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 05 September 16 01:55 BST (UK) »
Will someone please tell me how I can send a private email to some of you, since I think that we are related and can possibly share information.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 05 September 16 02:04 BST (UK) »
Isobell,

If you look on left side of post of person you want to send message to, there symbols under their names.

Hover your mouse over the one which looks like paper with writing which will say "Personal Message"

Hope this helps?

Annie

Offline petexxx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 11 September 16 04:21 BST (UK) »
both of you post your email w a trusted 3rd party and have them connect you -

Offline iancraw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 23:25 BST (UK) »
Subject: Reviving the Discussion on Caolasraide

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since this forum was active, but I'm excited to revive the discussion on Caolasraide and the people associated with it. I hope there's still interest in this fascinating topic, and I would welcome any ideas and information to see what we can learn together.

In my research, I've concluded all known individuals connected to Caolasraide can be traced back to 1 source. This source is a book edited by Hugh McColl in 1904 for the Gaelic Society of Toronto. The book, titled "Some Sketches of the Early Highland Pioneers of the County of Middlesex1," lists hundreds of individuals, place of origin, their settlement dates in Middlesex County, and often their children.

Within this book, 12 individuals are documented to have originated from Caolasraide in South Knapdale. These individuals include Duncan Lamont, Archie Fletcher, Malcolm Crawford, Margaret Crawford, John Crawford (my great-great-grandfather), Charles McLean, Allan McLean, Duncan McLean, Margaret McMurphy (widow of Archibald Johnson), Dugald McMurphy, Dugald Carmichael, and Archibald McGugan. They settled within an area of 80 square miles outlined by Strathroy, Coldstream, Lobo Village, and Mount Brydges, Ontario.

To make this information more accessible, I'll break down my thoughts into three separate postings. This post is intended to reintroduce the topic. In my next post, I'll provide references from Hugh McColl's book for the individuals associated with Caolasraide. Finally, in the last post, I'll discuss plans to research these individuals further, seeking information about their lives in Scotland to determine if any insights into what location(s) they had in common.

Here are the web addresses for Hugh's book:

1904 edition
https://www.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.79291/1

1979 Reprint (searchable)
https://digitalcollections.ucalgary.ca/asset-management/2R3BF1OEHIY83

I look forward to your participation and insights in this journey of discovery!
Best regards, iancraw

1. Hugh McColl. Some Sketches of the Early Highland Pioneers of the County of Middlesex.  Ottawa, Ontario: Canadian Heritage Publications, 1979 (reprint 1904).